Information for Students
Making an Appointment with a Tutor
On the main campus, ESL tutors are available in H-222, the ESL Tutoring Center. Walk-ins are welcome, but appointments are recommended. To schedule an appointment, please go to H-116, the ESL Office (ext. 2272 or 3264), or H-222 (ext. 4482). No more than two appointments can be made at any one time, and only one appointment can be made for any given day.
In all locations, you must be a current student of Palomar College and have your Palomar ID number to receive tutorial services.
Top Tips for Making the Most of Your Tutoring Sessions
- Change your attitude about seeing a tutor. Successful students enjoy hanging out at a tutoring center and getting help from the tutors. Think of the center as your daily gym and not an emergency room. Visit the tutoring center early and often in the semester. Do not wait until it is the night before the due date for an assignment.
Apply time management skills by making tutorial appointments and arriving on time.
- Arrive with appropriate preparation and materials, i.e. your textbook, your assignment sheet, your teacher's notes or referral slip, your drafts, and your specific questions for the tutor.
- If you come in for assistance with a paragraph or essay you have written, please bring a copy of your draft and, if possible, an electronic copy of your document on a flash drive.
- Expect to do most of the talking and writing while being guided by the tutor.
- Do not expect the tutor to just edit your paper for you, give you every answer, or cover everything. A successful tutoring session is a collaborative process aimed at higher levels of student learning.
- Demonstrate self-reliance by articulating what you need to work on following each tutoring session.
Resources for College Success
In addition to taking advantage of our dedicated ESL tutors, who are ready to give you one-on-one attention and work jointly with you for your language success, you can delve into self-help at the ESL Tutoring Center at any time during open hours. We have dictionaries, grammar books, readers, conversation practice cards, vocabulary development materials, editing resources, computer programs, and a primer for developing study skills and improving academic habits.
During a regular semester, an English Learners' Friday (ELF) workshop is offered as part of a Study Hall program in the ESL Computer Lab in H-118 every Friday. In these free workshops, ESL tutors can give you the tools you need to be more successful in all your classes. Click here for more information.
You can do your homework in Study Hall every Friday because you can get a tutor to assist you there without having to have an appointment. The tutor will answer questions that ESL students want to hear answered. Click here for a Study Hall flyer.
You can also go online and search for useful resources and tools to help develop your language and study skills yourself. Here is a sampling of such resources.
- Six Minimal Pairs
- ESL Practice (8 listening sites for all levels, plus resources to practice other language skills)
- A Typical Rubric to Evaluate Speaking Performance
- American Folklore
- Heinle's Newbury House Dictionary of American English
- Daily Grammar Archive
- Paragraph Punch
- Essay Map
- They Say, I Say Templates
- How to Persuade a US Academic Audience (PowerPoint for the April 11, 2014 EFL Workshop presented by ESL tutor Mike. Please click the link, download, and play.)
- Study Skills
A Sample Tutoring Session
Click here to view a typical ESL tutoring session. ESL students will gain skills in collaboration with ESL tutors.
Business Cards for ESL Tutoring Center
Click here for the business cards for our ESL Tutoring Center on the main campus in San Marcos.
Latest ESL Tutoring Center Flyer
Click here for a colorful flyer about our center.
Latest ESL Tutoring Newsletter
Click here for a copy of our summer 2014 newsletter.
Click here to recognize a tutor who has made outstanding contributions to student success.
Click here to offer your suggestions so that we can improve our work.
Looking for Other Tutoring Programs?
Click here for tutoring programs for other academic subjects.