Information for Tutors
Seeking to provide more chances to boost students’ success, the ESL Tutoring Program employs and trains qualified individuals to offer tutorial assistance services in classrooms and in one-on-one and small-group settings, both by appointment and on a walk-in basis. The ultimate goal of the Program is to assist ESL students in becoming confident, independent, and successful learners.
Current Service Area Outcome (SAO)
Students in ESL writing classes who avail themselves of ESL tutoring assistance offered in the ESL Tutoring Center have higher success rates than their peers who do not take advantage of the service.
Click here for a description of ESL tutors' duties and qualifications.
Guidelines and Procedures
Click here for an employee handbook that outlines administrative procedures and operational details.
Assorted Files to Download
About the ESL Department
- The ESL Dept. Website
- The History and Objectives of the ESL Tutoring Program
- ESL Course Offerings (a reference sheet used by Palomar counselors)
- ESL Level Recommendations for Special Topics Courses
- CurricUNET (for searching CORs by course catalog numbers; no user name or password required)
- Spring 2014 Teacher Contact and Class Info (San Marcos classes only) - 7 pages
- ESL Tutors M. P. Site
- CRLA Level 1 Tutor Certification Requirements (courtesy of Lake Washington Institute of Technology; scroll down for the info)
- Four Components of a Tutoring Session
- How to Be an Effective ESL Tutor
- ESL Tutoring Tips (originally from Dartmouth)
- Teaching ESL Students: Tips from UNC
- Guide to Grammar and Writing
- Punctuation Marks
- Questions on Capitalization