Welcome to the Palomar College Fire Academy
This is a Firefighter I academy, held at the Public Safety Training Center in San Marcos. The academy is a one-semester course, meeting Monday through Friday. The cost for the academy ranges from $2,509-2,959.
Completion of Palomar’s six core fire classes is recommended, but not required, prior to applying. These classes are: Fire 100, 101,118, 120, 130 and 165. Please note that if taking these classes in the fall semester, grades will not be posted in time to receive points on the following spring academy application.
Two academies are offered per year, in the fall and spring semesters. The application process consists of submission of the application, followed by a physical ability test, concluding with an oral interview. Selection into the academy is based on a point system. Please see the screening sheet in “Academy Documents” for the point breakdown.
If you need further information regarding Palomar’s EMT or Paramedic programs, you may visit the EME website, www.palomar.edu/eme, or call (760) 744-1150 x8150.
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Possess a valid National Registry or county EMT card. (May be pending during application process, required by first day of academy).
- Be eligible for English 50 (Intro to Eng. Comp). Proof may be provided through an assessment test or transcript.
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent, or a passing score on the General Education Development test (ged). (gc 1031 (e)).
- Possess a valid California drivers license.
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- File academy application.
- Pass a physical agility test (in 5 minutes, 54 seconds), which is part of the application process.
- Be medically cleared to participate in a dynamic physical conditioning program.
- Not have been convicted of a felony, and certain misdemeanors, in any state. (pc 1201 & 12021.1)
CLICK HERE FOR → → Fire Academy Application
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETE UPON SUBMISSION (with the exception of a pending EMT-B license). Points for fire classes, military experience (DD214), employment as an EMT (copy of a paystub or letter from employer) etc. will not be granted unless applications contain corresponding supporting documents. Proof of completion of fire technology classes must be accompanied by an unofficial transcript. The Fire Technology Office does not have access to Palomar College student transcripts. Applications may be mailed or hand delivered to the address below (inside the Sheriff’s building, right side of the lobby). Lobby hours are 8-5 Monday through Friday. If the office is closed, please submit applications in the drop box on the counter.
Palomar College – Fire Technology
182 Santar Place
San Marcos, CA 92069
DATES FOR FALL, 2017 FIRE ACADEMY 52:
Thursday, June 1, 2017 APPLICATION DEADLINE
Friday, June 16, 2017 PHYSICAL ABILITY TEST
Thurs./Fri., June 22/23, 2017 ORAL INTERVIEWS
Wednesday, June 28 ORIENTATION
Monday, August 21, 2017 FIRST DAY
Thursday, December 14, 2017 LAST DAY
All communication regarding the application process will be via email. Applicants will be notified of each step in the process.
For further information, please contact Carole Musgrove, Fire Technology Staff Assistant at (760) 744-1150 x1704, or email@example.com.