The San Diego Sheet Metal Training Center offers training for Sheet Metal Workers.
The training center is located at
4596 Mission Gorge Place,
San Diego, CA 92120.
The phone is (619) 265-2758.
The Training Coordinator is Roger Fewkes.
Sheet Metal Worker
A five-year apprenticeship program. The term “sheet metal” refers to any metal that can be formed into flat pieces of varying thicknesses. Using specialized tools, sheet metal workers cut, roll, bend, and shape these pieces to make a wide variety of objects such as ductwork, airplane wings, car bodies, refrigeration units, medical tables and storage units, building facades, steel sheets, tubing, and signs.
Metals used in the sheet metal industry include cold rolled steelCold rolled steel: Steel that is flattened and shaped by high-pressure rollers in a steel mill., mild steelMild steel: A low-strength steel containing low levels of carbon that can be easily shaped into a variety of objects., tin, nickel, titanium, aluminum, brass, and copper. Sheet metals come in flat pieces or coils and are measured by their thickness or gauge. Very thin pieces of metal are called foil or leaf; thick metals are called plate.
Sheet Metal Worker’s perform the following tasks:
- Lays out, cuts, forms, fabricates, assembles, and installs sheet metal items (such as ducts, blowers, gutters, downspouts, flashing and skylights) in building construction and alteration for heating, ventilating, and air conditioning.
- Fabricates and installs stainless steel kitchen, restaurant and soda fountain equipment, partitions and shelves.
- Constructs electric signs and does sheet metal work for other industrial and architectural purposes.
- Utilizes blueprints to layout the work, cut the metal, and form the metal; welds, bolts, rivets, solders, or cements and seams to join as required.
Follow this link to find out more about the
Sheet Metal industry in San Diego and California.
Program Entrance Requirements
- At least 18 years of age
- High School Diploma or G.E.D
- Valid California’s Driver’s License
- Birth Certificate
- Be physically able to perform the work
- Take and pass a drug test
- Passing grades in skills competency test, oral interview
COLLEGE CATALOG – check for the latest catalog and look for sections on Apprenticeship.