PACRA (Palomar College Retirees’ Association) was established in the fall of 1991 by an informal group of both classifed and certificated retirees under the leadershipof Mr. Howard Brubeck
From the very beginning it was recognized that the association was equally devoted to the interests of all groups of employees with the Office of thePresident alternation between a member of the certificated staff and support staff.
Officers serve a 2-year term, filling the offices of President, Vice President, Secretary/Treasurer, and Immediate Past President. General Members consist of (1) regular members who pay dues and (2) contributing members, who pay considerably more than regular dues.
One of the chief functions of PACRA is to monitor the policies of Palomar College which relate to the maintenance of benefits for retired employees. We maintain social relationships among our members, and enjoy our re-acquaintances at our annual meeting in May.
Objectives of PACRA
1. To implement communication between the college and retired college personnel in all matters of mutual
2. To communicate on behalf of retired college personnel with representative of government agencies and
other groups outside the college in matters affecting the health and welfare of retired persons.
agencies and other groups outside the college in matters affecting the health
3. To work for the improvement of the retirement program of Palomar College.
4. To coordinate the Association’s activities with the Palomar College Foundation.
5. To provide pre-retirement and post-retirement planning and counseling.
6. To provide a means for continuing the professional and educational activities of retired college
7. To facilitate continuing support including financial aid by the Association for the furtherance
of academic and other professional objectives of the college.
8. To sponsor or facilitate social and recreational activities of interest to retired college
Programs and Activities
1. Serving on the Benefits Committee. We are currently represented by Jean Ruff, Becky McCluskey and
Sandra Nanninga and Steve Spear.
2. Providing a memoriam for deceased PACRA members.
3. Attending Governing Board meetings when issues concerning retirees are being discussed.
4. Providing advocacy for retirees encountering problems or difficulties with Health Benefit
5. Sponsoring forums for Governing Board candidates
6. Sponsoring social events for PACRA members.
PACRA offers a $1000 scholarship each year to a qualified applicant. See PACRA Scholarship