Tech Toolbox: join.me

Occasionally when the techs here are speaking with faculty, particularly in the free-form discussions that come up at our Wednesday morning “Blackboard with Cream & Sugar” sessions, the techs will mention tools we use that faculty are unaware of. Sometimes those tools can be adapted to use in the classroom, so I’m highlighting some such tools on the blog under the “Tech Toolbox” name.

Today’s addition to the Tech Toolbox is a screen sharing tool that could be used both in the classroom and out: join.me by LogMeIn.

From the website:

“Get everybody on the same page, when they’re not in the same room, instantly. Review documents and designs. Train staff. Demo products or just show off. join.me is a ridiculously simple screen sharing tool for meetings on the fly.”

What does this mean? The join.me service allows the screen of a Windows or Mac computer to be viewed by one or more other screens, on any Windows computer, Mac, iPad, iPhone, Android phone… you get the picture. Certainly there are a number of different screen sharing programs available, but what makes join.me my tool of choice is how, as they say, “ridiculously simple” the tool is to use. Image: The share button at join.meJust go to the join.me website on a Windows or Mac computer, and click the obvious orange “Share” button. Depending on how your computer is set up you may have to click buttons to allow the program to install, but once it does you can immediately begin sharing your screen with others.

The easiest way to invite someone to share your computer is to start a sharing session, copy the address from the join.me program, then paste that into an email that you send to someone. When they click that link, they will very quickly be looking at what is on your screen. Of course, if you wanted to allow screen sharing in the classroom to student’s mobile devices, you might want to either post the sharing code on the screen or, to get more fancy, post a QR code that will direct mobile devices to the sharing link. That way, any students who so choose could have a duplicate of what you’re projecting display on their own mobile device or laptop.

Still have questions about join.me? There is a set of Frequently Asked Questions available on the website.