Fall Semester 2012: Day 1

Today is the first day of the fall 2012 semester and all systems are go.  Over the last 3 hours (from 9 a.m. to noon) 3,592 students and faculty members have logged into our Blackboard system.  During the same period we received 18 Blackboard-related requests for help in our helpdesk system, the vast majority of which were “I don’t know how/can’t remember how to login to Blackboard.  This post is aimed at answering the most asked Blackboard related questions on day 1.

Q.  I am a student.  How do I login to Blackboard?

A.   Your username is your 9-digit student ID number.  Your password is the password you set in eServices.

Q.  I can’t get logged into Blackboard.  I am using my 9-digit student ID for username, but the password is not working.

A.  You will need to change/reset your password.  To change your password in eServices, go to http://www.palomar.edu/ and click the eServices link at the center top of the page. Do not log into eServices, but instead click the link at the middle right of the page saying “Forgot my Student ID# or password”.  Follow the instructions on this form, and you can change your password. You should then immediately be able to log into Blackboard using your nine-digit ID number and that new password.

Q.  I am an instructor and need to know how to make my Blackboard course available to my students.

A.  Follow this procedure:

Login to Blackboard

Click on the link in the My Courses area to enter your course

Click the Customization link in the Control Panel (on the left of your screen beneath the course menu).

Click Properties under Customization.

Customizations Properties

Click the Yes radio button in area 3 of the resulting Properties form.

Set Availability

Click Submit.

Submit

That’s it.  Those are the big three tech support issues facing students and faculty members as a semester starts.