NOTICE: Students please note that all classes and programs that were formerly listed as Office Information Systems (OIS), have now moved to Business (BUS). Please look under BUS in the Catalog and Class Schedule for all software related and medical office programs effective Fall 2014. Also, see the attached Catalog Changes
The Office Information Systems program in the Business Administration Department at Palomar College offers the following programs of study:
- Administrative Assistant (AS | CA): This program is designed to prepare the student for an administrative support office position in business and industry.
- Data Entry (CP): Provides a program to prepare the student for an entry-level position.
- International Administrative Assistant (AS | CA): This program is designed to prepare the student for entry-level office work in a bilingual business environment.
- Medical Language Specialist (AS | CA): Prepares students for entry-level employment as a medical transcriptionist by providing the basic knowledge, understanding, and skills required to transcribe healthcare dictation and prepare patient care documents with accuracy, clarity, consistency, and timeliness, applying the principles of professional and ethical conduct. No courses are scheduled to be offered for this program until further notice.
- Medical Office Management (AS | CA): Provides preparation for career as an assistant office manager in a medical setting. This certificate is the capstone program for students who have successfully completed a certificate program in Medical Office Specialist, Medical Administrative Assistant, or Medical Assisting.
- Medical Office Specialist (AS | CA): Provides specific front-office skills for an entry-level position in a medical-related facility.
- Receptionist (CP): This program is designed to prepare the student for an entry-level receptionist position.
- Virtual Assistant (CP): Prepares students to develop a business as a Virtual Assistant, defined as an independent entrepreneur providing administrative, creative, and/or technical services to clients in a virtual environment.
For program requirements and course offerings consult the Office Information Systems section (PDF) of the current Palomar College Catalog or contact the program’s advisor, Jackie Martin, at email@example.com or (760) 744-1150 x2965.