Please note: If you or one of your dependents is Medicare-eligible, be aware of phone scams in connection with the new Medicare Prescription Drug Program. For more information, please review the Medicare Consumer Alert from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
CalPERS – California Public Employees Retirement System – (888) 225-7377
This is the plan offered to full-time permanent non-academic positions.
- CalPERS Local Miscellanous Benfits Publication
- Classic Member (Membership Date prior to January 1, 2013) = 2% at Age 55 Benefit Formula with a minimum retirement age of 50
- New Member (Membership Date on or After January 1, 2013) = 2% at Age 62 Benefit Formula with a minimum retirement age of 52
- CalPERS Beneficiary Designation Form for Active Employees
- CalPERS Member Forms
- CalPERS Working After Retirement
- CalPERS Retirement Planning Checklist (video)
- How to Register for My|CalPERS
CalSTRS – California State Teachers Retirement System – (800) 228-5453
APPLE – Accumulation Program for Part-Time and Limited-Service Employees – (800) 634-1178
Health Benefits for Retirees:
- Hired prior to 3/1/94, employed for 20 years or more and retire at age 50 (PERS participants), age 55 (STRS participants), or above.
- Retiree and eligible dependents will receive medical and dental benefits for the life of the retiree.
- Hired prior to 3/1/94 with at least 10 years but less than 20 years of service.
- Hired after 3/1/94 with at least 10 years of service and retire at age 50 (Classic PERS participants), age 55 (STRS participants), or above.
- Retiree and eligible dependents will receive medical benefits until the retiree reaches age 65, and dental benefits will continue for the life of the retiree
- Employees who terminate with less than ten years of employment are not eligible for District-paid health benefits.
- May continue health benefits on a self-pay basis for 18 months (COBRA).
NOTE: Benefits-eligible employees who work less than full-time are eligible for District-paid health and dental benefits after working the equivalent to full time, 10 months (e.g., a 50% part-time employee would complete the full-time, 10 months eligibility described for Group I in 40 years) as described for Groups I and II.
For more information about benefits, please contact Lucy Nelson, Benefits Specialist, at ext. 2889.