Thank you for your interest in Service Learning!
If you need to complete a Service Learning Project for a course, with a required set of hours (example 12 hours) of Service Learning over the length of the semester, Click here for directions and information.
If you need just a few hours of Service Learning for a class, have a heart for helping others, or need the chance to learn about a community resource without making a semester long commitment? Click here for directions and information for short term commitment Service Learning Opportunities
“Community service is such a great thing, and I think it should be included in more college classes. Students hear about what’s going on around the world, but they should also experience it. It gives you a different feeling compared to learning in the classroom”. – Palomar College student
Directions for Service Learning in 11 Easy Steps!
1. Learn from your instructor expectations for your course. Be clear on how many hours are required, and what type of service learning experiences are acceptable for your course.
2. Browse through our List of Community Partners to pick a service learning site that supports your academic, career, and/or personal goals. If you would like to volunteer at a community organization that is not on this list, contact your professor to get approval.
3. Print out the Service Learning Packet of Forms & Information
This packet includes:
- Service Learning Agreement Form
- Student Waiver of Liability
- Service Learning Time Sheet
- Student Performance Evaluation
you will return these forms to your Professor.
4. Contact the organization via telephone or email. Politely explain that you are participating in Service Learning through Palomar College. Be clear about how many hours you will be committing to this organization, and tell them the times and days you are available.
5. Meet with the site supervisor at the organization before you start volunteering. Take the Service Learning Agreement Form. Have the Student portion filled out in advance. Be sure to include your goals for service learning (what do you hope to do and gain from this opportunity?)
*If you are doing a one-time/special event service project you may take all of the forms with you on your day of service and then turn them in to your professor.
6. Complete the Online Registration Form for Service Learning
7. Turn in the Service Learning Agreement Form (signed by you and your site supervisor) and the Waiver of Liability form with your signature to your professor.
8. Begin your Service Learning. Be sure to follow all of the Guidelines and Tips for Success. Take your Time Sheet with you each time volunteer and have a supervisor sign off your hours.
9. When you have completed your Service Learning experience, ask your supervisor to fill out the Evaluation of Student Performance form.
10. Turn in your Timesheet and the Evaluation of Student Performance form to your professor.
11. Submit the Online Completion Form for Service Learning
Recognition of Service
Students who complete the following requirements for total service hours have the option to apply for the following:
Service Learning Certificate of Completion – 15 hours of service.
Service Learning Graduation Cord* – 50 hours of service. Cord cost is $7
Service Learning Graduation Embroidered Stole* – 100 hours of service. Stole cost is $12
*These forms are under construction. Please email email@example.com if you are interested in a Cord or Stole.
Have your story printed in Palomar College’s Service Learning book – Learning through Serving.
All Service Learning Students are invited to share their experiences of personal, educational, and career growth and empowerment while spreading knowledge and passion for Service Learning and the organization they served. Please fill out the Submission form for the Service Learning Book, Learning through Serving.