“Community service is such a great thing, and I think it should be included in more college classes. Students hear about what’s going on around the world, but they should also experience it. It gives you a different feeling compared to learning in the classroom”. – Palomar College student
Directions for Service Learning in 12 Easy Steps!
1. Learn from your instructor expectations for your course. Be clear on how many hours are required, and what type of service learning experiences are acceptable for your course.
2. Browse through our Community-Partner-List-Spring 2015 to pick a service learning site that in supports your academic, career, and/or personal goals. If you would like to volunteer at a community organization that is not on this list, contact your professor to get approval.
3. Print out the following Forms:
- Student Agreement Form
- Student Waiver of Liability
- Service Learning Time Sheet
- Student Performance Evaluation
4. Read through the Service Learning Guidelines and Tips for Success-1
5. Contact the organization via telephone or email. Politely explain that you are participating in Service Learning through Palomar College. Be clear about how many hours you will be committing to this organization, and tell them the times and days you are available.
6. Meet with the site supervisor at the organization before you start volunteering. Take the Service Learning Agreement Form. Have the Student portion filled out in advance. Be sure to include your goals for service learning (what do you hope to do and gain from this opportunity?)
7. Complete the Online Form for Student Registration
8. Turn in the Service Learning Agreement Form, signed by you and your site supervisor, and the Waiver of Liability form with your signature to your professor.
9. Begin your Service Learning. Be sure to follow all of the Guidelines and Tips for Success. Take your Time Sheet with you each time volunteer and have a supervisor sign off your hours.
10. When you have completed your Service Learning experience, ask your supervisor to fill out the Evaluation of Student Performance form.
11. Turn in your Timesheet and the Evaluation of Student Performance form to your professor.
12. Complete the Online Program Evaluation
Thank you for representing our school and making a difference in our community!
Like to travel? Extend your service opportunities to Latin American countries and earn college credit with Amigos de las Americas