The STEM Center offers near-peer tutors for all the Palomar Community College students. The STEM Center strives to provide a culture of learning to promote student achievement. Tutoring at the STEM Center is viewed as a necessary tool to help students on their way to successful completion of their courses.
Role of the STEM Center Tutors
Tutors act as supporters of students’ learning and not as teachers. They are trained to be inquisitive with the students that they tutor in order to encourage the students’ critical thinking abilities. Tutors are students at Palomar Community College and are expected to behave in a professional manner that reflects the positive and collaborative work of the STEM Center.
STEM Center Tutors assist students in the following ways:
- Clarify concepts and problem solving techniques
- Ask questions to extract knowledge that students may not be aware they already have
- Lead students to develop their own understanding of the material
- Develop students critical thinking skills to help them become independent learners
- Share study strategies that help students be successful in their courses
**Beginning Monday, March 19, 2018, students will need to register for NBASC 202 class #34017 on eServices in order to receive tutor or Peer Led Study assistance. Please select this course number when signing out.**
If you have questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org; (760) 744-1150 ext. 2265.
Note: Schedules are accurate as of their publication date. Please contact the STEM Center at x 2265 to verify the day’s schedule.