Volunteering as an usher is a great way to support Palomar Performing Arts. And, you get to see the show for free!
Ushers are still needed. If you would like to volunteer as an usher for any upcoming performance(s), please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, phone number, and which performance(s) you would like to usher, or call Box Office Manager, Heather Murray, at (760) 744-1150 x3049 or x2453, to sign up today!
Rules and Information for Ushers
- Ushers are asked to wear black bottoms and white tops. Black denim jeans are acceptable, but must be clean, free of holes/tears, and of a solid black color. Sneakers or tennis shoes are not appropriate. Any one not dressed appropriately will not be allowed to usher for the performance.
- Ushers are asked to arrive at the venue one full hour prior to the event’s start time (i.e., if the event starts at 7:00 pm, ushers must be at the venue no later than 6:00 pm). Usher’s names will be checked off when they arrive.
- Ushers may not chew gum or use cell phones during the event.
- Ushers must be able to stand for up to 45 minutes at a time.
- Ushers will be given brief instructions on safety practices and standards as well as an introduction to the box office staff, the facility, the performance (title, length [i.e. 1 hour 45 minutes with a 15 minute intermission], performance type (dance, music, theatre), how the seating is arranged, and which doors to suggest for patrons to use for their convenience.
- Ushers will perform tasks that include, but are not limited to: taking tickets, handing out programs, passing out pre-paid will-call tickets, and/or assisting with concession stand.
- At Intermission, the ushers will need to take to the edge of the stage; this is to make sure that audience members DO NOT try to enter the stage area.
- During the performance, ushers will need to take seats on each side of the audience. Late seating will be accommodated at the discretion of the House Management. If there are late patrons, ask them to take a seat at the edge of the isle and inform them that they will be able to take their actual seat at Intermission.
- After the performance, ushers will be asked to stand once again at the edge of the stage. As patrons ask for performers, ushers need to ask them to go to the meeting area to wait for performers there. Ushers need to make sure that audience members do not try and enter the stage from the House.
- Ushers must stay through the entire performance.
- Once the House is clear, ushers must help clean-up the audience area and return all programs that are in good condition. Ushers will sign programs for students who need proof-of-attendance for a class.
- Front Door: You will be taking tickets and telling patrons which theatre door they should enter to get to their seats.
- Performance Entrance/Programs: You will be handing out programs and helping patrons to their seats.
- Will Call Station: You will be located next to the ticketing area; at this station you will be handling all the Will Call tickets (tickets that were purchased prior to the event).
- Other positions as assigned by House Manager.
In Case of Emergencies
- In the case of a medical emergency, ushers need to contact the House Manager and leave the affected person alone (DO NOT MOVE THEM!).
- In case of a major emergency (i.e. earthquake or fire), the House Management will contact the lighting operator to bring up the lights to allow the house staff to safely evacuate the audience.