Home » Posts by Monika Brannick
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Nina Simone on the Duty of an Artist
An artist’s duty, as far as I’m concerned, is to reflect the times. I think that is true of painters, sculptors, poets, musicians. . . I CHOOSE to reflect the times and situations in which I find myself. That, to me, is my duty. And at this crucial time in our lives, when everything is so desperate, when every day is a matter of survival, I don’t think you can help but be involved. . . We will shape and mold this country or it will not be molded and shaped at all anymore. So I don’t think you have a choice. How can you be an artist and NOT reflect the times? That to me is the definition of an artist.
- Jobrakhi said Thanks for the argument and solution Sir. I will always remember your article.
- Biplab Acharjee said I had been never familiar with such situation, so I don’t have any Idea about it. But Feeling really good to read the story. Thanks!
- Martin Japtok said Civilized, who teaches hate? If that is so then we need to know who that is so that one can talk to the person of see whether there was a misund...
- jjenkins said Why do we, as a nation and a species, continue to believe in the race myth? Since we know that race is fiction, why do we continue to treat it a...
- C. Kearse said Many fear that (or those) they do not know. We must begin to get to know one another.