THE BODY POLITIC To the ASG: Loosen up regulations and help students get back into the student government

Dear ASG:

You’re doing it wrong.

You’ve told us again and again that you want to engage students. You want your name to mean something on campus. You want to connect with each of the diverse Palomar constituencies and give them what they want.

But bureaucratic nonsense is holding you back.

When three candidates decided to run for election on a campus of 30,000 this semester, we grew concerned. Why weren’t more people interested in representing their peers?

You disqualified one just hours before the election. And last semester, you left student groups fuming and administrators scratching their heads when you rushed to disqualify another (who is now back on the ballot after that election was called off).

We often hear students complain about the college’s direction and quibble over how out-of-touch student senators and executives seem to be. Campus has no shortage of naysayers.

But those students feel the system is too flawed to work within, and they don’t know how to fix it.

(Well, one group has an idea: the ASG should break off from the college administration. ASG board members haven’t seemed too warm on the subject.)

The answer is simple: there are too many campaign rules and too few efforts on your part to engage students.
Yes, rules have a place in an election. Candidates should not be allowed to spend unlimited sums of cash to sway voters, and buildings and walkways should not be littered with campaign fliers.

But the rules you set to keep the candidates in check—which aren’t posted on your website, aren’t available for viewing in your senate or executive offices and aren’t on display in any glass cabinets or posting areas around campus—are unwieldy and unjustified.

From the rules you set forward, it seems you’re afraid that too many people will take their campaigns too far. But you’re jumping to conclusions that have no basis in fact.

The reality is there is just a handful of students who feel up to navigating the mire of regulations that define the ASG presidential election. And all of them are old hats, entrenched members of the ASG who have long haunted the halls of the Student Union.

Get a clue. We don’t need rules, we need engagement.

—Matt & David

Author: TELESCOPE STAFF

Share This Post On

1 Comment

1. The campus clubs are mired in the same red tape. I looked into starting my own student organization earlier this semester, under the impression that actual students would be responsible for the club. I was disappointed to see that the administration has entrenched itself in Palomar’s student organizations as well. The clubs’ mandatory partnership with the OSA and administration, coupled with their cookie-cutter approach to a club constitution, was enough to deter me from my endeavor.

Post a Reply

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. THE BODY POLITIC To the ASG: Loosen up regulations and help students get back … – Telescope | The News Patrol - [...] Telescope [...]
  2. THE BODY POLITIC To the ASG: Loosen up regulations and help students get back … – Telescope | Daily News Magazine - [...] Telescope [...]
  3. THE BODY POLITIC To the ASG: Loosen up regulations and help students get back … – Telescope | News Reads - [...] Telescope [...]
  4. THE BODY POLITIC To the ASG: Loosen up regulations and help students get back … – Telescope | News Nuance - [...] Telescope [...]
  5. nurmaniamnsz - Links... [...]Sites of interest we have a link to[...]…...
  6. riamnuzsz - Online Article…... [...]The information mentioned in the article are some of the best available [...]......
  7. arminioun - Websites worth visiting... [...]here are some links to sites that we link to because we think they are worth visiting[...]…...
  8. how to reverse heart disease - Comment... One of my favorite posts....
  9. Mobile Text Messages - Looking around... While I was surfing yesterday I saw a great article about...
  10. it services san francisco - Comment... Wow, I enjoyed your neat post....
  11. rhode island computer repair - Comment... Thanks for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic....
  12. computer repair miami - Comment... There are some fascinating points in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them center to …
  13. professional speakers - Comment... Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!…...
  14. hospital lancaster - Comment... I like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon....
  15. solar energy new jersey - Comment... you've an ideal blog right here! would you wish to make some invite posts on my weblog?...
  16. cupolas and weathervanes - Comment... That is a great point to bring up. Thanks for the post....
  17. exchange student programs - Related…... [...]just beneath, are numerous totally not related sites to ours, however, they are surely worth going over[...]…...
  18. pinball machines - Comment... Awesome job on this post....
  19. lawyers for veterans - Comment... Witty! I'm bookmarking you site for future use....
  20. used cars harrisburg pa - Comment... I don't think I've never read anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some original ideas on …
  21. computer support nyc - Comment... Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this …
  22. lawn care lancaster - Comment... I definitely enjoy every little bit of it and I have bookmarked your blog....
  23. computer repair jacksonville - Comment... Thanks for the great info....
  24. lancaster auto repair - Comment... Can I simply say what a relief to find someone who truly knows what they're talking about on the internet....
  25. asphalt lancaster pa - Comment... Hiya! I just want to give an enormous thumbs up for the good data you have here on this post. …
  26. pennsylvania electric suppliers - Comment... You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. I cant believe youre not more …
  27. computer stores in fresno ca - Comment... Thanks for the great info....
  28. heating service lancaster - Comment... I was very pleased to find this website. I wanted to thank you for your time for this excellent post!!...
  29. aluminum bronze - Comment... That is a great point to bring up. Thanks for the post....
  30. computers philadelphia - Comment... I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!...
  31. bushnell binoculars - Comment... This really answered my problem, thank you!...
  32. temple housing - Comment... I am often blogging and i really appreciate your content. The article has really peaked my interest. I am going …
  33. flexible pvc - Comment... This really answered my problem, thank you!...
  34. cribs for babies - Read was interesting, stay in touch…... [...]please visit the sites we follow, including this one, as it represents our picks from …
  35. rayne water softener san antonio - Its hard to find good help... I am constantnly proclaiming that its hard to find quality help, but here is...
  36. cash advances - [...]If you do your homework and spend some time looking through the many sites that offer online cash advances you …
  37. how to fix a garbage disposal - Websites we think you should visit... [...]although websites we backlink to below are considerably not related to ours, we feel they …
  38. montreal veterinarian - Sites we Like…... [...] Every once in a while we choose blogs that we read. Listed below are the latest sites …
  39. How to Lose Belly Fat - Blogs ou should be reading... [...]Here is a Great Blog You Might Find Interesting that we Encourage You[...]…...
  40. Conservatorship San Jose - Related…... [...]just beneath, are numerous totally not related sites to ours, however, they are surely worth going over[...]…...
  41. Check My Internet Speed - Sites we Like…... [...] Every once in a while we choose blogs that we read. Listed below are the latest sites …
  42. Download free embroidery - Check this out... [...] that is the end of this article. Here you’ll find some sites that we think you’ll appreciate, …
  43. how to grow weed - Links... [...]Sites of interest we have a link to[...]…...

Submit a Comment

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>