With intimidating fashion, looks can be deceiving

Nikko Vo and Jocelyn Sarasua, both courteous and friendly express that do not consider being stylish, but instead are just being who they are on March 11, they are a due that are inspired by the Japanese and Korean culture. Yolanda Granados/The Telescope

19-year-old Biology/Psychology student, Jocelyn Sarasua, and Nikko Vo, 20, may come off as intimidating, at first. However, they have the kind hearts that match their shy, quiet and caring personalities.

“While many people think I am fashionable, I tend to disagree with that statement. I personally do not call myself stylish because I am only wearing clothes that I love and make me feel good,” Sarasua said.

“My personality does not match up with what I wear, to be honest. Maybe matches about, only 20%. I act like a nerd,” Vo said. “I’m alright on being stylish.”

The fashionable duo shared their thoughts on fashion and personal style, with The Telescope:

1. How would you describe your fashion sense?

Sarasua: My fashion sense is a mixture between the Japanese Harajuku Street Style and Korean hip hop style.

Vo: Not quite sure to be honest. It’s random every day. But, I guess the closest matchup would be Korean hip hop style.

2. Where do you get your inspiration from?

Sarasua: My inspiration for fashion is derived mostly, if not entirely from the Japanese and Korean cultures. At first, it came from my obsession over anime. Then, it came from Harajuku street style, which I discovered when looking at Japanese websites.

Vo: Usually from my favorite idols in Korea, they dance/sing/rap and have an amazing style. I like to be unique and not too much on trends.

3. Where do you shop?

Sarasua: The places I shop vary, I shop on online websites, they give you more insight on what another country’s trends are. They sell things you don’t often see here in the U.S., such as my favorite heel-less platform wedges.

Vo: Thrift shopping, Ross, online shopping, among other places. It is better than shopping at the mall, sometimes, but not always. I shop cheap and rarely buy expensive clothes.

4. What’s your favorite piece of accessory or clothing?

Sarasua: My favorite accessory would have to be the addition of spikes or anything gold. It gives my outfits more edge. I also love my angel wing backpack because the colors are bright and the wings make an impression on people.

Vo: My favorites are beanies and hats. I like to have a variety to choose from and wear, from time to time. Love the way they look. It’s usually a must for what I wear every day.

5. What makes a person fashionable or stylish?

Sarasua: I can’t pinpoint what makes one “stylish,” but my guess would be what reflects how you feel inside. People can wear whatever they want, and by wearing it, they are in their own sense fashionable. But, in my opinion, there is no real fashionable person out there. Everyone is unique in their own way.

Vo: I guess you just have to express yourself with what you wear and not to be afraid of what you like. Wear what you think looks good. Be creative.

6. Is fashion important?

Sarrasua: Fashion can be important, depending on what perspective you look at it from. How you dress is your first impression on a person you meet for the first time. Fashion helps people be creative and dig deep to find themselves.

It can differentiate you from other people, and most importantly, helps you express who you are as a person. But honestly, who cares what the world thinks of you and your fashion, it all comes down to you and how you feel.

Vo: Don’t want to say yes or no, so I’ll just state my opinion. People like to look good, while others like to just slip on a random shirt and jeans and walk out the door.

But, I always enjoy people with a unique and different style because it tells people a little bit about who you are. To me, fashion is a good thing to have.

Author: Juan Zuniga

Share This Post On

1 Comment

Submit a Comment

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>