A job with compassion and trust

When I was little, my father told me that I could be anything I wanted and I believed him. At the age 7, I firmly decided that I wanted to be the first female president.

Of course my father always believed in my dreams, but when I told his friends, they laughed at me. They said: women aren’t presidents, women are mothers.

This wasn’t back in the 1950s, when this backward philosophy reigned down on society. This was the early 2000s. Women had been deemed equal to men for a while, yet this negativity still clouded women’s aspirations.

In the summer of 2013, the Dalai Lama affirmed the idea that our leaders should be more compassionate.

According to a Berkeley article, the Dalai Lama stated “in that respect, biologically, females have more potential. Females have more sensitivity about others’ wellbeing.”

Women are said to be emotional. They care too much and are too sensitive. Women are irrational and don’t have the capacity to fully understand politics. They can’t be trusted to protect our country in a crisis.

Women can be trusted to take care of the children who are the future of our country, but not trusted to take care of our nation?

If anything, a female president’s compassion for the people of her nation would be a great asset to the position. The instinct to protect rather than fight, which is a typical male instinct, would serve America better. We need protection, and to defend those within our borders and not fight those outside of them.

In 2001, all hell broke loose in New York when an Islamic terrorist group plowed through the Twin Towers. The Bush Administration acted so hastily that many lives were lost, and our deficit significantly increased due to the subsequent invasion.

Instead of rushing off and condemning others and starting massive and deadly warfare tactics, women would take a step back to address what will help us in the long run and how can we prevent this from happening again.

The military is often sent out to fight those that we don’t even have conflict with simply because we disagree with how they live their lives, their lack of democracy or when we want something from them.

There is also a tendency to bomb, invade or fight other countries that threaten us. More often than not, we are targeted because America has the impression that we are superior to others. They like to play “my horse is bigger than your horse.”

The government likes to flex its muscles rather than fixing the situation and developing ways to cease fire and perpetually cooperate.

Females will nourish our country and not destroy it.

Washington Post reported that the Cost of War Project totaled to $4 trillion, and by 2053, the interest would exceed $7 trillion. By 2013, approximately 6,648 service men had perished in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

A female president would look at everything and muster up a plan that not only will benefit the country economically, but also try to create peace so we wouldn’t have to fear more attacks.

We need to be more frugal with our money, and stop wasting it all on military and defense. We have the most worldwide military bases than any other country, but we have millions of people in our country that are homeless: men, women, children, teens, veterans. So why aren’t we using our money to help our people?

A majority of society is afraid of change or anything that goes against the “norm” fabric. It is understandable to be leary of the unexpected future, especially when traveling down an altered path. Without change, however, we would not have made the paramount historical accomplishments we have come to revere today.

• opinion telescope logo: Telescope Staff/The Telescope | All Rights Reserved