What is the Presidential Volunteer Service Award (PVSA)?
The Presidential Volunteer Service Award (PVSA) is a prestigious award that recognizes outstanding volunteers offering their time in civic engagement, community service, and/or environmental stewardship. The Palomar College Associated Student Government (ASG) is one of a few educational institutions in California approved as an Official Certifying Organization for the PVSA.
Faculty, Staff, Students, and Family Members are Encouraged to Participate
Palomar College recognizes volunteers’ commitment and outstanding service to the community through charitable, service and civic organizations. To earn an award, individuals, families and groups are encouraged to record their volunteer activities served through the Palomar College Associated Student Government.
What Counts as Service?
When reporting your hours, the following activities count as service:
- Traditional volunteering (with non-profit agencies, etc.)within Palomar College District in San Marcos, Escondido, Rancho Bernardo, Oceanside, Fallbrook, Mt. Carmel, Pauma, Ramona, or in neighboring cities such as Valley Center, Temecula, Murrieta etc. where Palomar Students reside with respect to surronding areas.
- On-campus organization activities (working campus events), such as Inter-Club Council events.
- Non-partisan voting registration activities.
- Unpaid internships that were not for class credit such as Service Learning programs.
The following activities DO NOT count as service:
- Time spent eating, sleeping or purely socializing.
- Travel and duties served as Associated Student Government Officer or Club Officer/Membership.
- Activities for which you received financial compensation.
- Hours served to fulfill court-ordered community service.
How to Register and Track your Volunteer Hours:
- Create a volunteer profile and account at presidentialserviceawards.gov
- Click HERE to download a PDF of detailed instructions with illustrations.
- Click HERE for detailed list of instructions only.
- In your profile, include the Palomar College specific code “EVE-2118” in the “Record of Service” tracking box. This allows the Palomar College Associated Student Government to access your volunteer profile and verify your service activity.
- Update your progress on the website regularly while maintaining a separate but thorough record of your service hours through electronic and physical documentation.
- Volunteer hours are recognized on a yearly basis. Once the desired hours are achieved: nomination, document collection and award ordering will occur during Spring Semester of the following year.
Levels of Service Diagram:
Upon completion of the level of service you would like to receive recognition for, notify the Associated Student Government Officers at the Student Union Building to move forward with processing your application.
Last edit: 04/27/2017