Skip to Content
Palomar College Learning For Success

Understanding Your ESL Placement

If your first language is not English, you may want to take ESL classes.  ESL classes provide cultural knowledge and language skills to be successful in college and society.  Palomar College offers high level ESL classes that can transfer to CSU and UC for general education units.  Please contact us for help deciding whether ESL or English classes are the best fit for you!

How We Determine What Course to Recommend for You

Your placement into an ESL class is based on both questions you answer about your knowledge of English as well as your score on a placement test. (Please contact the ESL Office for an appointment — 760-744-1150, x2272.)

Recommended Classes Based on Placement

If your recommended placement in eServices is 45, 55, 101, 102, or 103, you can register for the class that is recommended for you.  The class will be a 5-unit class.

If your recommended placement in eServices is 55, 101, or 102, you can choose to register for one of our 6-unit accelerated classes: ESL 105 or ESL 106.

If you are trying to take English 100 as soon as possible, we strongly encourage you to take accelerated ESL courses and/or use all of our resources, such as tutoring, in order to do well in your class.  Students who receive ‘A’ grades in an ESL class have the opportunity to do a challenge writing to see if they can skip over the next ESL class in order to progress more rapidly to English 100.    

Additional Information

Ultimately, any student wishing to earn an A.A. degree must complete ENG 100 with a grade of ‘C’ or better.

If your recommended placement in eServices is ESL 101, 102, or 103, then you are taking ESL classes that count for Humanities GE credit.  These units will count towards your degree requirements.

Questions About Your Recommended Placement?
Call the ESL Office at (760) 744-1150, ext. 2272.

If you’d like to know more about the legislation that has prompted this state-wide approach to access and placement, please refer to the AB 705 implementation web page at