Due to Palomar College’s physical building closure for COVID-19, we are unable to administer the Typing tests at this time. We are working on a method so we can provide this service remotely. If and when this changes, we will update this page. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- WHEN: Monday-Friday 9: 00 or 10:00 am By appointment only.
- WHERE: MD-335
- FEE: $10 (NO CHARGE to currently registered Palomar College STUDENTS OR STAFF. Students must show proof of registration for the current semester. Photo ID required.)
Call us to schedule an appointment (760) 744-1150 x2494
Before your test:
- Check the following site for parking information
- Pay fee(s) at the cashier’s window, located in Building A, Administrative Services. Picture Id required.
- The test is administered in MD-335. Directions to MD-335 test location may be obtained from the cashier. Report to the MD-335 lab at your scheduled time, give the FEE RECEIPT to the staff when you check-in.
You will have 10 minutes of practice time. Three 5-minute timings will be given from straight copy. Typing tests follow International Typing Rules. A certificate will be issued for the best timing with 5 errors or less. Allow an hour for the whole process. For a copy of this information click here.
About the test.
You will be taking three five-minute typing tests, each from unfamiliar (different) copy with our GDP typing software.
- The typing test will be single-spaced, double-spaced between paragraphs.
- Type one space ONLY after all punctuation.
- You will be able to backspace to make corrections during the timing without penalty.
- Word-wrap is active; press the enter key ONLY at the end of the paragraphs.
- If you finish typing the printed page before the end of the 5-minute time period press enter TWICE, then start retyping the first paragraph again.
- The total number of words typed (GWAM) and the total errors made are recorded by the software.
- Two points are subtracted for each error from the GWAM to determine NWAM (net words a minute).
Typing certificates are issued at NET SPEED with FIVE ERRORS OR LESS. A typing test with more than five errors is not certifiable.