This page is under construction!
Description: Integrated treatment of organic chemistry including electronic and orbital theory with applications to carbon bonding, stereo chemistry, resonance theory, and reaction mechanisms of both aliphatic and aromatic compounds. Strong emphasis on organic nomenclature, reactions, preparations, and synthesis of organic compounds. Laboratory: Techniques and theories involved in organic reactions and preparations, qualitative organic analysis, and instrumental methods.
- Application of the Scientific Method — Successful students will be able to apply the scientific method by stating a question, performing
experiments and/or analyzing a data presentation.
- Organic Lab Technique — Successful students will be able to set up and execute general and intermediate organic chemical
reactions in the lab using an organic chemical technique.
Prerequisites: A minimum of grade “C” in CHEM 115 and 115L
Semesters & Campuses Offered: Fall, Spring @ San Marcos
- Experimental Organic Chemistry, 2nd Edition by Boyajian
Textbooks & Materials (strongly recommended):
- Organic Chemistry, 2nd Edition by Klein
- Student Study Guide and Solutions Manual to accompany Organic Chemistry, 2nd Edition by Klein
- Molecular Model Kit
Materials: quad-ruled lab notebook, scientific calculator, safety glasses/goggles (Z-87 Rating), completed Safety Quiz