The following discussion took place at the April 26, 2017 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council:
- Update on Student Services District BP/AP – Dean Stockert reported that the following Student Services Administrative Procedure was sent to the SSPC for feedback. There were no suggested edits from the Council. This AP will be moved forward to Policies & Procedures, SPC and then to the Governing Board for final approval. This concludes the complete review of the Student Services BP/AP’s for this review cycle.
- AP 5520 – Student Discipline Procedures
- North Center Equipment and Staffing – Dean Stockert reported the Student Services management team is in the process of creating initial staffing, furniture, fixtures and equipment (FFE) estimates for each area that will be represented at this site. There have been recent architectural, building and planning changes that indicate we will now have double the amount of space then what we previously had available. Portables will be in place to ensure the opening in the summer of 2018. The college plans to advertise for the North and South Center positions in the fall of 2017.
- South Center Equipment and Staffing – Dean Stockert reported that we are in the process of creating initial staffing, furniture, fixtures and equipment (FFE) estimates for each Student Services area that will be represented at this site. The college is planning for the opening to occur in the summer of 2018. The college plans to advertise for the North and South Center positions in the fall of 2017.
- Career Center Director – Patrick O’Brien reviewed this item from the last SSPC meeting on April 12, 2017. The Counseling department proposed changing this position to a full-time Educational Administrator. This change was listed as an action item on the Counseling department’s agenda at the March 22, 2017 meeting and the motion passed. The Council was asked to take this information to their constituent groups and bring feedback to this meeting. There was no feedback from constituent groups. Dean Stockert reported we are in the process of looking at best practices in the region around this model and this Educational Administrator would report to the Dean of Counseling.
- Behavioral Health & Campus Wellness Committee – Dean Stockert reported that they are planning to hold campus-wide trainings on reporting roles, policies and procedures to support Behavioral Health on campus. He also reported that Apolinar Mariscal, Adjunct Math Instructor is working on updating the Behavioral Health and Campus Wellness website. Lori Meyers reported that they are working on launching a peer educator program beginning in the spring of 2018. The peer educators will hold 30-40 presentations each semester on depression coping strategies, suicide prevention and stress management. The peer educators will be trained in the fall of 2017 to prepare for the spring 2018 launch.
- Registration Committee – Jamie Moss reported that the committee is working on creating a 2-year planning cycle.
- Dean Stockert reported on the following hiring updates:
- A DRC Director has been selected, pending Governing Board approval on May 9, 2017.
- John Lewis, our new Business Systems Analyst in Enrollment Services began his full time employment on April 12, 2017.
- A second Business Systems Analyst in SSSP has been selected, pending Governing Board approval on May 9, 2017.
- The search committee for the Foundation Executive Director is in the process of selecting candidates to interview.
- The search committee for the Chief of Police is in the process of selecting candidates to interview.
- The search committee for the Director of Student Health Centers is in the process of selecting candidates to interview.
- The search committee for the Student Affairs Supervisor is in the process of selecting candidates to interview.
- The search committee for the Associate Dean for Strong Workforce is in the process of selecting a candidate.
- Kathy Kailikole, Ed.D. has been selected as the permanent Dean of Mathematics and the Natural and Health Sciences. Her effective date will be July 1, 2017.
- The VPHRS position will be posted soon.
- Jamie Moss reported that students will be able to view the 2017-18 BOGW eligibility this week. Information regarding their eServices To-Do list for the 2017-18 academic year will be available within the next two weeks.
- Dean Stockert reported that we will be hiring a consultant with SSSP funds to assist us with implementing Degree Audit.
- Dean Stockert reported that we will be holding Maverick training to teach staff members how to better use our PeopleSoft tools. The training will initially be made available for 20 people. This training will assist us in using PeopleSoft the way it was intended and help to weed out much of the customization we have created.
- Dean Stockert reported that the Student Success and Equity Council is reviewing how funds are being distributed. We are integrating BSI/SSSP/NCSSSP/SE per direction from the Chancellor’s Office.
Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Services Planning Council website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/sspc/