Skip to Content
Palomar College Learning For Success

Counseling Department

Counseling Services Division


  1. Who can attend Palomar College?
    • a high school graduate or equivalent
    • anyone (including non-high school graduates) 18 years of age or older
    • a minor who may profit from instruction and has permission of the local high school district and a parent or guardian.  Students under 15 years of age are restricted to courses designed for children.  Permission to enroll in other classes rests with the instructor.  Some programs have limited admission or have additional academic or skill requirements. Please print the Approval for K-12 student/Graduation Verification of Minor form and instructions for each semester and submit with application to Admissions.
      Back to FAQs
  2. What is an education plan?
    An education plan is a map of classes created by you and a counselor.  The education plan may also include additional steps you need to take to reach your goals.
    Back to FAQs
  3. Do I need an appointment to see a counselor?
    , you need an appointment to obtain an education plan from a counselor.  If you have a quick question, you may be able to have it answered by a counselor if one is available. See the Counseling Front Desk to check availability.
    Back to FAQs
  4. When do I see a counselor?
    If you are a brand new student to Palomar College review the Counseling web page and complete the orientation before you see a counselor.  You are welcome to see a counselor at least once a semester.  You do not need to know what your major is in order to get help from a counselor.
    Back to FAQs
  5. How many units do I take to be a full-time student?
    Full-time students carry a course load of 12 units or more during the fall and spring semesters. During the summer sessions, 6 units is considered full time.  Other programs may have a different definition of full time during the summer sessions.
    Back to FAQs
  6. How do I get started at Palomar?
    Brand new students to Palomar College need to start with the Steps for Enrollment.  For specific steps on how to use MyPalomar eServices, view the MyPalomar eServices Tutorials available in the Instructions box of eServices.
    Back to FAQs
  7. What do I do if I am a . . .
  8. When do I register for classes?
    Online registration appointments are provided to students after their application is processed.  Check your MyPalomar eServices account for your registration time. You may enroll anytime after your scheduled appointment. Students who have attended Palomar College but have missed 1 or more semesters (excluding summer) will need to reapply to Palomar in order to obtain a current registration appointment.  Fall registration begins in May. Spring registration begins in October.  Summer registration begins in April.  See the Enrollment Priority Procedure for details on your appointment assignment.
    Back to FAQs
  9. How do I register for classes?
    Use eServices to add or drop classes.  For specific steps on how to use MyPalomar(formerly eServices), view the Student eServices Tutorials available in the Instructions box of eServices.  To determine what classes to take, see a counselor for an education plan.
    Back to FAQs
  10. What is “crashing” a class?
    If a class is full, you will have to “crash” the class. If you waitlist a class, then you are putting your name in a prioritized list of crashers.  As students drop the class, you will be automatically bumped up the list. In order to crash a closed class (all spaces in the class and the waitlist are filled), you must attend the first class meeting. Let the instructor know you are not enrolled and wish to “crash” the class. If there are no-shows (enrolled students who don’t claim their seats) or withdrawals (enrolled students who decide the class is not what they want), you may be allowed to enroll.  There are no guarantees on whether or not a student will be successful in crashing a class.  For more on waitlists and permission codes, click here.
    Back to FAQs
  11. If I miss the first class meeting, will I be dropped from the class?
    If the class is closed and has students waiting to crash, it is likely the instructor will drop you from class. If your absence is unavoidable and you are able to contact the instructor before class, you should do so by e-mail and telephone. It is at the discretion of the instructor whether or not to drop you from class. If you are dropped, you may try to “crash” at the next class meeting or try to get into another section of the same class.
    Back to FAQs
  12. How do I drop a class?
    To drop a class, select Enroll in your Student Center through eServices and click on the Drop tab. All students are expected to attend classes. Failure to attend class can result in an “F” or “FW” grade, unless the student processes a drop before the W deadline. Dropping classes is the student’s responsibility. At the same time, making sure that one is not dropped from a class is also the student’s responsibility. Pay attention to drop date deadlines in the schedule.
    Back to FAQs
  13. Can I get a refund for classes I drop?
    Classes must be dropped within the first two weeks of the semester to qualify for a refund or waiver. No refunds or waivers will be granted for drops after the drop date deadline, unless the class is cancelled by the College or if a verified processing error by the College occurred. There is no prorated refund schedule.  Not attending classes does not warrant a refund or waiver of fees. It is the student’s responsibility to drop classes by the refund/waiver deadline or incur the fees.  Refunds are processed after all fees or obligations owed to the College are met. Go to the Refund Policy and Deadlines web page for specific details.

    Back to FAQs

  14. How do I pay my fees?
    Palomar college accepts payment by check, money order, VISA, Mastercard, Discover, and AMEX.  You can pay online through eServices with a credit card.  Checks are made payable to Palomar College and can be mailed in or walked in to the Cashier’s Office.  Payments are only accepted at the main campus in San Marcos.  Cash payments are made at your own risk!
    Back to FAQs
  15. How long do I need to be a resident of California before I qualify for the in-state enrollment fee?
    One needs to be a resident of California for one year prior to the residency determination date which is the day before classes begin.  In addition to residency, one has to show intent to make California a place of residency. Please visit Admissions-Residency to find the specifics for details and special residency rules.
    Back to FAQs
  16. How do I qualify for AB 540/AB 2000 non-resident tuition exemption?
    If you attended high school for at least 3 years and have graduated from high school in California (AB 540), or you have the equivalent to 3 years in high school and have attended K-12 schools for at least 3 years (AB 2000), then you are eligible for in-state tuition.  If you meet AB 540 or AB 2000, then you also need to complete a paper application and an affidavit to get the in-state tuition rate.
    Back to FAQs
  17. What is the DREAM Act?
    The DREAM Act allows students who qualify for AB 540/AB 2000 to apply for California financial aid.  Use the DREAM Act Application to apply.  Here are additional resources for undocumented students:

    Back to FAQs

  18. How do I request my transcripts to be sent?
    You can request a transcript through the Internet, in person, or by mail.  See the transcript request page for more information.
    Back to FAQs
  19. Can I take a class for pass/no pass  (aka credit/no credit)?
    The decision to change to Pass/No Pass grading must be made by the end of the fourth week of a full semester course or by the first 30% of a short-term course, after which no other evaluative grade may be given.  No faculty signature needed. However, students are advised that four-year schools may limit the number of CR units acceptable for transfer. Major preparatory classes should never be taken on a P/NP basis. ENG 100, 202 and 203 may not be taken as P/NP. In most cases, courses numbered below 100 are ideally suited for the P/NP option. Please see a counselor to find out how this option may affect your educational goals. The change of grading status is not reversible.
    Back to FAQs
  20. What do I do if I am failing a class and it is too late to drop?
    If you have extenuating circumstances (death of a loved one, hospitalization, incarceration, etc.), then you can submit a petition to withdraw.  You will need documentation and a written letter explaining your extenuating circumstances.  Bring those documents to the Records Office and they will initiate the withdrawal process. Professors will have to approve the petition in order for the withdrawal to be completed. See a counselor for more details.
    Back to FAQs
  21. How many times can I repeat a class?
    You can only repeat courses with a “D” or “F” grade.  You are allowed to attempt a course 3 times.  “W” grades are counted in the 3 attempts.  Learn more about Enrollment Restrictions.
    Back to FAQs
  22. What is probation or dismissal?
    Probation is applied to your transcript when your semester GPA or cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0.  Levels include Probation 1, Probation 2, and lastly Dismissal.  If your semester GPA is a 2.0 or above, but your cumulative GPA remains under a 2.0, then you will be placed on Probation 1 or 2 Continued.  For information on what to do, see the Probation and Dismissal page.
    Back to FAQs
  23. How do I participate in sports/athletics?
    Complete a Join the Palomar Team form.  Contact the coach of the sport your want to join in the off season to determine which kinesiology courses you need to enroll into.
    Back to FAQs
  24. How do I apply to graduate?
    When you are in the semester completing your last courses for your degree, submit an Application for Graduation.  Deadlines are February 28 for spring, June 30 for summer, and September 30 for fall.  If you plan to participate in Commencement (only at the end of the spring semester), then go to the Student Affairs website for Commencement (graduation) details.
    Back to FAQs
  25. I still have questions.  What do I do?
    Make an appointment with a counselor to get your questions answered.  For quick questions, and most questions are not quick, email our Quick Questions Counselor, and we will get back to you within 48 hours Monday – Friday.  Also, take a look at the Student Resources webpage for additional help.
    Back to FAQs
Last modified on October 30, 2019

Announcements and Upcoming Events

Here are some quick tips on how to apply to Palomar College.

Learn about crashing classes. Use the Open Class Search tool to look for available courses.

Check out this easy to use view of English and math sections with support.

Learn more about becoming a Puente student.


Learn more about becoming a Umoja student.Umoja Community