Skip to Content
Palomar College Learning For Success

Credit for Prior Learning at Palomar

Helping students get credit for what they already know and can do

What is Credit for Prior Learning?

Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) is college credit awarded for validated college-level skills and knowledge gained outside of a college classroom. Students’ knowledge and skills might be gained through experiences such as:

  • Military training
  • Industry training
  • State/federal government training
  • Apprenticeships, internships, work-based learning, or other industry-based experiential learning
  • Validated volunteer and civic activities (e.g. Peace Corps)

This CPL definition does not include knowledge and skills already assessed and awarded credit through formal education at regionally accredited in-state and out-of-state institutions.

Frequently Asked Questions

CPL can help you save time and money on your educational path. Students can now get credit for a course instead of just waiving a prerequisite.

Students who hold industry credentials and certifications are graduates of service academies were trained for military occupations, or have work experience that can be demonstrated through an exam or portfolio review may qualify for credit for prior learning.

Each CPL eligible course will have different methods of assessment. These methods include:

  • Military Transcript
  • Credit by Exam
  • Portfolio Review
  • Industry Certification/Accreditation or License
  • AP, IB, CLEP

Check out our CPL Course List!

If you have prior learning experience that you feel would qualify for CPL, but you don't see the discipline or course in our list, please email

We are still building our CPL database and will reach out to our faculty on your behalf to see if CPL is a good fit!

There is no cost for CPL, except for the Credit by Exam assessment method. Credit earned through the other assessments methods listed above are free to the student.

The Credit by Exam (CBE) cost is current tuition rates per unit for in-state, out-of-state, or international students depending on your student status. Click here to see the current Tuition and Fees.

So for example, if the CBE course is a 4-unit course, and you are an in-state resident, you will pay the in-state "enrollment" rate x 4 units.

If you are an out-of-state or international student, you will pay the  "enrollment" rate plus the"tuition" rate x 4 units.

NOTE: This CBE cost is not covered by the Palomar Promise. Units acquired by examination might not be applicable to meeting such unit load requirements as Selective Service deferment, Veteran’s Benefits, or Social Security Benefits.

For more information contact Tina Barlolong at in Counseling at or at (760) 744-1150 x 3415 to set up a “CPL counseling appointment.”

Contact Tina Barlolong , CPL Counselor at or at (760) 744-1150 x 3415 to set up a “CPL counseling appointment.”

For students interested in CPL, contact Tina Barlolong  CPL Counselor at or at (760) 744-1150 x 3415 to set up a “CPL counseling appointment.”

For faculty and staff interested in learning more about CPL and potential opportunities for students within your disciplines, contact Candace Rose, Interim CPL Coordinator, at

Military students - follow the steps on the Veterans Services website to send your official military transcripts to Palomar.

No. You just need to be registered at Palomar College in order to apply for Credit for Prior Learning.

The "registered" student, as defined for CPL, is a student that has been admitted to Palomar, has a Palomar student ID number and is eligible to enroll.

To begin, contact Tina Barlolong , our CPL Counselor at or at (760) 744-1150 x 3415 to set up a “CPL counseling appointment.”

Once you have met with the CPL Counselor and determined your eligibility, course selections and methods of assessment for CPL, log into MyPalomar and then come back to this page and select this CPL Petition Form link to start the process. (You must be logged into MyPalomar first in order for this link to work.)

The CPL Petition form is a fully electronic form that is initiated by the student. This form walks the student through the entire petition process for all four methods of assessment: military transcript, industry certificate, portfolio, credit by exam (CBE) 


Contact Us!