speech bubbles without text

That conference feeling…

I’ve attended mostly EdTech conferences, which tend to focus on mechanics rather than pedagogy. But the best moment from those trips would have to be an impromptu discussion started with somebody while we both rested in chairs halfway up a long staircase.

She was enthused about how well virtual reality was working with her students, so we started off there, but quickly we’d gathered a group of other attendees until there was around a dozen of us half-blocking the conference center stairway. Topics ranged all over the place, and if memory serves we ended up missing a keynote (but it was a corporate keynote, so not too important) because the discussion felt so rich.

Looking back at that across a span of years, I really don’t recall WHAT was said. But I certainly recall how I felt, and that I left that group feeling energized and… not alone. And that sort of gathering is only going to take place at a physical conference, with total strangers.

The technical stuff I learned that year, the “coming soon” that the company announced, certainly augmented the next couple of semesters of my professional development workshops. But that all faded away quickly, while the glow from that single discussion remained.

In July of 2016 I attended InstructureCon in Keystone, Colorado, and during the opening keynote the speaker suggested that attendees blow off the sessions, and instead go out and enjoy the resort area – ride bikes, hike trails, explore the lake in paddle boats. And, as startling as it was hearing that from the conference organizer, I see that he was absolutely right. The best benefit of conferences is really being herded into close proximity with others, in an environment where we will produce our own value.

2 thoughts on “That conference feeling…”

1. David,

Yes, I remember being inspired by conversations at conferences– a response to a session with a group ready to act with each other as springboards for making whatever it was work back in our classrooms.

I do have to say, though, that technology makes it possible to have those discussions without being in a physical space.

In this 2009 post I share an experience online that blossomed into a great collaboration with two classrooms [and the beginning of my PLN and connected learning journey]:

Collaboration 2009

And my #etmooc and #clmooc online courses also expanded into friendships online, including many collaborations far beyond the first year [2013], continuing to inspire each other:

#clmooc: the beginning of a journey still connecting and collaborating after 5 years

Google Docs, Slack, blogs, and twitter keep us connected, creative, and collaborating. So I think we can find those conversations in online spaces as well. ~Sheri

1. Sheri, I’m delighted that you are comfortable with those “pick up game” experiences through a digital interface. The irony for me is that, though I spend most of my waking hours using and helping others to use a digital interface, I’m really not comfortable with one myself. I’ve had brief moments when Twitter felt natural, but mostly I feel awkward when at a distance; overly format, I guess.