Palomar College Learning For Success


Frequently Asked Questions

Dual enrollment is a program of classes offered at a high school intended for current high school students. Specific sequences of courses are planned for students to enter a specific pathway such as transfer preparation or certificate pathways.

Concurrent enrollment is when a high school student take a college course located at the college while still in high school for academic enrichment.

For Dual Enrollment

    • There are no fees associated with dual enrollment. Books are provided by the high schools.

For Concurrent Enrollment

      • High school students are not required to pay enrollment fees ($46 per unit) with a current K12 form on file. However, students taking courses on the Palomar College campus or online are required to pay for textbooks and some fees.

General Education and/or Career Technical Education. Check with your high school counselor for specific pathways at your high school.

Yes! Each dual enrollment class is a state approved collegiate course taught by Palomar College instructors.

Dual enrollment courses are taught by instructors who have been qualified through the state community college system to teach the college course, just like all community college instructors in the state of California. In many cases, a Master’s degree in the discipline is required.

Yes, courses are transferable to other colleges. Courses fulfill Associate degree requirements and/or requirements for transfer. Some courses are CSU transferable only and others may be both CSU and UC transferable. See the college counselor for details.

Once you complete the course(s), it will be placed on your permanent Palomar College transcript. You must send your Palomar College transcript to the college of your choice. You can request a transcript be sent by mail or electronically.  If you attend Palomar College, you do not have to request a transcript to be sent to Palomar as the coursework is already in the system.

Dual Enrollment courses count as college courses; therefore, they are captured in your total units attempted and earned, and are reflected in your grade point average. For students completing courses that apply toward their degree, this should have no negative impact on financial aid. However, for students who do not pass courses or who earn a failing grade, or for those students who change majors multiple times, there are implications.

The important thing to keep in mind is that successful completion of college courses in high school can help you to graduate from college more quickly. If you have specific concerns about financial aid, please contact a Palomar College counselor.

No. Participation in dual enrollment courses does not impact future collegiate athletic eligibility as long as you have the minimum GPA in your NCAA core courses.

  • Earn your college degree in less time.
  • Eliminate duplication of coursework between high school and college.
  • Save Money!
  • Experience the college environment.
  • Explore career fields before starting college.

Yes. The student can earn both high school and college credit. To determine how a college course fulfills a high school requirement, see your high school counselor.  The number of units and type of courses accepted by the high school are determined by each high school district.

Yes. When a course has a pre-requisite requirement, it means that a student must possess a certain amount of pre-existing knowledge to be successful in the course. The knowledge is demonstrated by a completion of a course or a placement test.