Palomar College Learning For Success

Assessment & Placement

Palomar College offers four levels of English Composition: ENG 10, ENG 50, ENG 100, and ENG 202/ENG 203. Students are placed into ENG 10 unless they qualify for a more advanced course. For the Fall 2016 semester, this qualification is determined in one or more of the following ways:

A suitable score on the COMPASS test, administered through the Assessment Office in SU-1 (760-744-1150 ext. 2476)
A passing grade in the prerequisite composition course (the previous course in the sequence listed above)
High AP scores (determined by the Assessment Office)
Documentation (provided to the Assessment Office) of previous college course work
Documentation (provided to the Assessment Office) of recent assessment scores from another college.

However, beginning with the Spring 2017 semester, placement will be guided by the new assessment test developed by the state. Known as the Common Assessment Initiative, this test will apply to all California community colleges. The specific details of how it will be used at Palomar are still being worked out by the Chancellor’s Office, the college, and the English Department, and as soon as these details are finalized, they will be posted here.