ASSEMBLY BILL 540 (AB 540) NONRESIDENT TUITION EXEMPTION
If you are a student, other than one with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) nonimmigrant visa status (except for students who have been granted T or U visa status) that is physically present in California and either:
- Attended a combination of California high school, adult school, and California Community College for the equivalent of three years or more, or
- Attained credits earned in California from a California high school equivalent to three or more years of full-time high school course work and attended a combination of elementary, middle and/or high schools in California for a total of three or more years,
- Graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the term (for example, passing the GED or California High School Proficiency exam), or
- Completed an associate degree from a California Community College, or
- Completed the minimum requirements at a California Community College for transfer to the California State University or the University of California
Please note that the student must be physically present in California in order to benefit from the Assembly Bill 540 Nonresident Tuition Exemption. In cases of conflicting information regarding any aspect of eligibility, additional documentation will be requested.