Special Immigrant Visa Holders and Refugee Students who Settled in California Upon Entering the United States
Education Code 68075.6 grants an immediate nonresident tuition fee exemption to eligible Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) holders, refugee students, T and U visa holders who settled in California upon entering the United States. This exemption is granted for one year from the date the student settled in California upon entering the United States.* After the expiration of this exemption the student will be subject to residence requirements as listed here.
This exemption applies to the following:
- Iraqi citizens or nationals (and their spouses and children) who were employed by or on behalf of the United States Government in Iraq (Pub.L. No. 110-181, § 1244)
- Afghan and Iraqi translators (and their spouses and children) who worked directly with the United States Armed Forces (Pub.L. No. 109-163, § 1059)
- Afghanistan nationals who were employed by or on behalf of the U.S. government or in the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan (Pub. L. No. 111-8, § 602)
- Refugee students admitted to the United States under Section 1157 of Title 8 of the United States Code
- T and U visa holders
To request the exemption:
Students who fall under this exemption will need to submit documentation from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing they entered the United States under one of the above listed visas or statuses and settled in California upon entering the United States along with a completed “Request for Review of Residence Status” form.
Documentation can be submitted:
- In person (SSC building, San Marcos Campus or any of our education centers),
- Via email to: email@example.com,
- Via fax to: (760) 761-3536 or
- Mail to: 1140 W. Mission Rd. San Marcos, CA 92069 Attn: Admissions
*Please note that this exemption does not include students who resided in another state first before coming to California.