The Palomar College Facilities/Custodial Services employees, on the San Marcos Campus, provide services to over 755,515 gross square footage. They perform most of their duties in three main shifts. First, our day shift has a start time of 6:00 a.m. and runs until 5:30 p.m. The secondary shift begins at 2:00 p.m. and runs until 10:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 11:00 a.m. until 7:30 p.m. on Fridays. Our night shift starts at 10:00 p.m. and runs until 6:30 a.m. Monday through Thursday and 5:30 p.m. until 1:30 a.m. on Fridays. Sunday shift is a small crew from 4:00 p.m. until 12:30 a.m. Thus, custodial shifts provide virtually 24-hour service, Sunday through Friday, in support of all faculty, staff and students.
A day shift Custodian I provides daily service, Monday through Friday. This custodian provides quick response to spill or breakage cleanup, heavily polices used common areas, re-stocks and cleans the restrooms.
The Palomar College San Marcos Campus is divided into custodial areas/zones that are tended to by a group of individuals and their respective Team Lead. In addition, there are some buildings which do not fit into this structure and are manned by a designated individual. This change has proven to be more productive, easier to supervise, and requires less equipment.
A strong commitment to the College is the driving factor for this Facilities team to perform their best. They value their commitment and combine it with pride and a strong sense of family to function effectively as team. Each individual consistently participates to the overall team success, as you will often find individuals covering areas for others when assistance is required. Our staff follows policies and procedures that assure compliance with campus standards, California Health and Safety Codes, California Code of Regulations, OSHA standards and San Diego County ordinances.
Supplemental (chargeable) Custodial Services
Palomar College Facilities/Custodial Services employees provide many services (cleaning, sanitizing, stocking sanitary supplies and collecting and disposing of refuse) at no direct cost to academic and administrative departments.
There are some supplemental services, however, for which the Palomar College Facilities Department must charge a fee in order to recover its costs. Services that require a fee include Commencement or any services in support of a special event (Use of District Facilities Form). In these cases, the Facilities Office assesses a rate for the labor and materials if necessary.
Please keep in mind that the actual cost for any service request will depend on several factors, including the amount of time and the cost of associated materials required to complete the job. An estimate for special events is provided to the Events Scheduler in the Facilities Office.
The following are examples of supplementary custodial services available to requesting departments and the request for service must be submitted on a Facilities Remedy.
- Stripping and refinishing vinyl tile flooring
- Shampooing carpeting
The Custodial Services crew is your complete campus moving service with the exception of computers, copiers and musical instruments. Please review our helpful hints to save you time and make your move less stressful:
Forms & Phone Contact Information:
- Process a Facilities Remedy via email for all office moves. For questions, please contact the Facilities Office at extension 2629 or via email at FacilitiesOffice@palomar.edu
- Contact the Information Services Helpdesk for questions regarding computers, telephones, etc., at extension 2140 or via email at Allhelpdesk@palomar.edu
- Contact Comet Copy for questions regarding copiers at extension 3077.
- Contact Fixed Assets for questions regarding surplus at extension 2896 or complete the on-line Inventory Request form.
- To recycle prior to your move, please complete the on-line Recycling Request Form. Click “submit” and form will be sent automatically to the Facilities Office for processing.
- Contact Environmental Health & Safety for questions regarding hazardous materials and/or chemicals at extension 3677.
- Empty desks completely
- Empty all open bookcases
- Lateral and Regular file cabinets must be emptied
- Two-door storage cabinets must be emptied
- Clearly label each item with new room number
- We do not disassemble furniture, please contact the manufacturer that you purchased your furniture from to coordinate this aspect of your relocation.
Computers, copiers, facsimiles, telephones, etc.
- Submit a Data/Telephone Service Request form to the Information Services Helpdesk for all relocation requests involving computers, facsimiles, printers, telephones, etc.
- Contact Comet Copy for assistance in relocating District copier machines.
- Please contact the Facilities Office at extension 2629, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., regarding availability of moving boxes.
- Leave at least a 2” space at the top of each carton.
- Pack working papers, letter trays, books, and other desk top items.
- Empty desk drawers and seal paper clips, pens and other loose items in envelopes, then pack them in the boxes.
- Label each box with your name, a description of its contents, and the location and room number of your new work area.
- Ensure that the box is taped and closed.
- We do not disconnect gas, air, water, or electrical lines. Please contact the Facilities Office at extension 2629 for assistance., Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- We do not disassemble equipment, please contact the manufacturer where you purchased your equipment from and check your warranty.
- We do not remove and install partition walls, please contact the manufacturer where you purchased these items from.
- We do not hang bulletin boards, maps, pictures, whiteboards, etc. Please submit a Facilities Remedy via email.
- You will be responsible for moving your own personal items (plants, fountain pens, photographs, personal papers, money, lamps, radios, etc.). Our employees cannot be held responsible for any missing personal items that were left behind.
- Have layout maps of your new area posted on each door or provide a copy with the Facilities Work Request and Data/Telephone Service Request forms.
- Submit Key/Card Access Request Form for each employee for their new office.
- Submit Key/Card Access Return Form for each employee for their old office.
All belongings must be packed up and labeled by the close of business the day prior to your scheduled move date.
Custodial Services is responsible for the general cleaning of all academic and administrative buildings on campus.
If materials (bodily fluids, drinks and food) are spilled on carpeting, linoleum or tile, please contact the Facilities Office immediately at extension 2629, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. After these hours and on weekends as well as holidays, please contact Campus Police at extension 2289 or 760/891-7273.
For pest control problems including bees, ants, roaches, mice, rats, spiders or termites, please contact the Facilities Office at extension 2629 or via email at FacilitiesOffice@palomar.edu , Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 P.M. After these hours and on weekends as well as holidays, please contact Campus Police at extension 2289 or 760/891-7273.
The Facilities Office will dispatch Custodial Services to visit the room and take whatever measure possible. If this does not suffice, an exterminator will be asked to make a visit to the infested area during a routine visit to the campus and will follow-up in subsequent visits to see to it that the pest is controlled.