Fashion is one of the largest, most well-established industries in California. An education in Fashion serves the individual by providing the background necessary for these careers throughout California and the United States.
Palomar’s Fashion Program provides appropriate education to meet the needs of this vast industry with Certificates and A.S. Degrees leading to potential transfer to Baccalaureate institutions.
Palomar has four areas of emphasis at the present time:
- Fashion Buying and Management
- Fashion Design
- Fashion Merchandising
- Fashion Visual Merchandising
The Fashion program provides an environment which promotes critical thinking, creativity, multicultural awareness, sensitivity to various learning styles,and an understanding of social, organizational, and technological systems. See More About Us.
The Fashion Merchandising and Design Program present their annual fashion show, MODA. This year the theme was Explore the Possibilities, which took on new meaning when halfway through the semester the world was stuck with COVID-19, the global pandemic. We needed to explore new possibilities on how to present our MODA Fashion Show. The class persisted through all the challenges and is proud to present the MODA 2020 Virtual Fashion Show. Enjoy!
Fashion Department News:
Fashion Design Student from Palomar College, Lori Fully, made over two hundred face coverings and donated them to Tri-City Hospitals, Costco employees, and other local businesses. Currently she began selling them to a local manufacturing company. – Go Lori
~How to Make Designer Facial Covering~
Palomar College Community:
The Centers for Disease Control issued new guidelines recommending that the public voluntarily wear a non-medical basic cloth or fabric facial coverings. More than any time in recent history sewing construction has become a necessity. Palomar College Fashion Program has coordinated efforts from construction to drop off locations to assist those of you that would like to participate in this effort. Be safe, stay healthy, and keep sewing!
How to Sew a Facial Covering:
Scroll down for the Step by step pictorial tutorial for sewing how to sew this facial covering or click on the video links below.
Visit: www.palomar.edu/fashion, or Facebook: Palomar Fashion Program or Facebook: Sew with Monti
Video tutorial for sewing your facial covering:
Drop off Locations:
Donate to your area. Post of contacts and drop off locations.
- Uniting with Homemade Masks – San Diego
Using a Face Covering:
- It is also important to make sure you are properly wearing, putting on, and removing a facial covering.
- First and foremost is to wash your hands when putting on or removing a facial covering.
- Do not touch the front of the cover.
- Wash in hot water, with soap; a drop of vinegar or drop of bleach can be added to the water.
- Created for crisis; not recommend when surgical masks or N95 are required. These ar not surgical masks or filtering face piece respirators.
- These should be used in non-surgical settings when the healthcare provider will be more than 3’ from symptomatic patient or within 3’ of symptomatic patient wearing a surgical facemask.
- These face coverings have not been tested for fluid resistance, particulate or bacteria filtration efficiency, differential pressure, or flammability.
- We recommend monitoring the CDC website below for the lasts updates regarding the respirator shortage https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/ppe-strategy/face-masks.html