Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs
GEAR UP is a grant-funded student program offered through Palomar College and partnering at local schools within the San Marcos Unified, Escondido High, Fallbrook Elementary Union, Fallbrook High, Vista Unified, and Valley Center-Pauma Unified school districts. GEAR UP offers college readiness and outreach services to the graduating classes of 2017, 2018, 2022, and 2023. GEAR UP works to support students in preparation to attend post-secondary schools, particularly for at-risk, low-income, and first generation college-bound students. GEAR UP is a matching and proven United States Department of Education grant that puts federal tax dollars, in collaboration with business partners, back into our educational system.
- Increase academic performance and preparation for post-secondary education.
- Increase high school graduation and participation in post-secondary education.
- Increase GEAR UP student’ and their families’ knowledge of post-secondary education options, preparation, and financing.
GEAR UP provides opportunities for students to interact with university leadership groups and academic programs within and outside of the San Diego region.
In-class tutoring provides homework help and cultivates study skills within students.
PEAS are Programs, Events, Activities, and Services that GEAR UP provides for their students.
Schools Being Served in 2018
- Fallbrook High School
- Valley Center High School
- Vista High School
- Rancho Buena Vista High School
- Potter Junior High
- Valley Center Middle School
- Pauma School
- Rancho Minerva Middle School
- Vista Innovation and Design Academy