Skip to Content
Palomar College Learning For Success

Employee Information on COVID-19

Palomar College Return to Campus Plan Update

Status as of June 1

  • On June 1, the Governing Board will consider recommended revisions to BP/AP 5210 Communicable Disease (students) and BP/AP 7330 Communicable Disease (employees) to give the District the ability to create a Vaccination and Immunization Plan in the event of an epidemic or pandemic.
  • The collective bargaining negotiation process to discuss the impacts of BP/AP 5210 and BP/AP 7330 on working conditions, including legal exemptions from a vaccine mandate, are underway.
  • Our facilities department partnered with an engineering firm do an analysis of air quality and HVAC systems in all campus and education center buildings. All required repairs and upgrades will be complete by the end of summer.
  • Every department has been asked to submit Summer 2021 and/or Fall 2021 Return to Work plans to our Emergency Operations Center.
  • On June 4, the EOC and Policy will review and finalize all of the plans received.
  • Our technology team is installing required audio visual equipment in conference rooms for continued ZOOM usage.
  • We will continue to ensure access to vaccines for students and employees.
  • We will determine the most efficient and effective approach to COVID-19 testing on campus.
  • We are in the process of determining the most efficient and effective approach to collecting the appropriate data on vaccinations while abiding by HIPPA requirements.
  • We will modify the campus Return to Campus plan as relevant guidance is gained from federal, state and regional public health agencies.


The information provided below may change based on District needs as a response to San Diego County Department of Health and Human Services directives relating to COVID-19, please check this website for the most updated information. (Last updated 1/25/2021 10:20am)

Employee COVID FAQs

Click here to view FAQ's related to returning to onsite work.

  • Employees should stay home if sick. Notify your supervisor if you will miss work.
  • If a person develops symptoms of COVID-19 including fever, cough or shortness of breath, and has reason to believe they may have been exposed, they should call their health care provider or local health department before seeking care. Contact in advance will ensure you can get care without putting others at risk.
  • Employees who have a sick family member at home with COVID-19 should notify their supervisor and refer to CDC guidance or medical provider to conduct a risk assessment of their potential exposure.
  • If an employee is confirmed to have COVID-19, please notify Human Resources immediately at or call 760-744-1150 ext. 2609. Employee confidentiality will be maintained while allowing the College to take appropriate action.
  • Report absences on your time sheet or absence report.

Employers are generally limited in their ability to make health-related inquiries or require medical examination of employees, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) (42 U.S.C., § 12100 et seq.) and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (“FEHA”) (Government Code, § 12900 et seq.)

Managers and supervisors should recommend to all employees who are sick to remain off-duty (i.e., on sick leave) until symptoms resolve, and that they seek medical assistance, as appropriate. Anyone sick and believed to be at risk for COVID-19 infection should be advised to seek medical assistance and follow the CDC recommendations. Managers and supervisors should seek assistance from Human Resources before taking any action to ensure that all appropriate options have been considered.  The CDC reports that COVID-19 symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath.

Employees or Supervisors should report a possible COVID-19 Case via the questionnaire

The District is providing a verification of employment letter automatically in your monthly pay stub from now through March 2021. Your pay stub will be printed on one side and the verification letter on the other side. All employees get a mailed pay stub to the mailing address on file with Human Resources. To update your mailing address email the Address/Name Change Form to

Permanent Employees are mailed on the last day of the month, Part Time Faculty on the 20th (next on 2/20), Short-Term Hourly on the 10th (next one is 2/10).  They will continued to be mailed through March 2021.
If you need a verification of employment prior to receiving your pay stub you can request one by emailing

We have employees who live in counties who are already accepting educators and support staff. Also, since our payroll is monthly we are sending it early in anticipation that employees will need it. We plan on printing the verification on the back of the pay stubs through March 2021.

Some counties are already providing the COVID-19 vaccine to educators and support staff, to prove you work in an educational setting you will need a verification of employment.

Everyone gets a paper mailed pay stub, to their mailing address on file in Human Resources, even if you have direct deposit.  To update your mailing address email the Address/Name Change Form to, if you need a verification of employment prior to receiving your pay stub you can request one by emailing

Permanent Employees and Students pay stubs are mailed on the last day of the month, Part Time Faculty on the 20th, Short-Term Hourly on the 10th.

Currently, employees are not able to access their pay stubs electronically.

Pay for employees varies by the employee type and applicable employment laws and/or collective bargaining agreements.

Permanent employees will continued to be paid if they continue to perform regular work as agreed with their respective bargaining unit agreement. During this time social distancing operations will allow for modified work assignments as assigned by an employee's supervisor.

Per California Government Code Section 3100-3109, all  Palomar College employees are state-designated disaster workers. Employees may be required to remain on campus during a closure and perform duties based on essential needs. Palomar considers all permanent/probationary employees to be on-call during a campus closure and will remain on paid status. On-call means the ability to perform duties either in-person or remotely, as directed. Any employee who is unable to work will be required to use accrued leave in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement.

All hourly employees (Student, Short-Term, and Part-Time Faculty) will be paid if directed to perform work during the closure period.  If an employee suffers a loss of earnings an unemployment claim may be filed with EDD.

Federal Work-Study Students who do not report to work are able to receive pay due to the Federal Work Study guidelines, please refer to the following webpage for more information

As a public education employer we do not participate in California State Disability Insurance. Instead employees have applicable sick leave. See the FAQ below for the information on sick leave.

Should you have additional employment contact EDD to determine your eligibility.

  • Classified/Administrators/CAST/Full-Time Faculty/Part-Time Faculty:
    • Employees have access to their accrued sick leave for their own illness and if needed the extended illness leave which is 100 days of 1/2 pay leave that runs concurrently with sick leave (example if you have 20 days of sick leave you will have 80 remaining days of 1/2 pay leave). Each employee handbook or collective bargaining agreement gives more detail regarding sick leave accrual. If an illness or injury exceeds the 100 days the employee would work with Human Resources to evaluate the ability to return to work or apply for long-term disability insurance.
    • If a family member is sick, an employee can access the Personal Necessity leave which is 1/2 of your annual accrual (Full-Time employees get 12 days of sick leave per year, thus personal necessity would be 6 days of sick leave). Additional leave may be applicable please contact or call 760-744-1150 ext. 2609.
  • Short-Term and Student Employees:
    Each year student and short-term employees receive three days of sick leave in accordance with the California “Healthy Workplaces, Healthy Families Act of 2014 (Labor Code 245-249) for full information on accrual and use  please refer to this link: Sick Leave for Student and Short-Term Employees.
  • If your hours are reduced due to a campus shut down  and you experience a loss of wages, you can file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim. UI provides partial wage replacement benefit payments to workers who lose their job or have their hours reduced, through no fault of their own. You should apply directly with the EDD, once they receive your application they work directly with Palomar College to obtain your work and salary history directly from Human Resources and Payroll.
  • Federal Work Study (FWS) Employees:  Federal Work-study Students can be paid due to the Federal Work Study guidelines, please refer to the following webpage:

Your supervisor will complete and sign your time-sheet and submit it to payroll. A copy will be provided to you. If there are any discrepancies your supervisor will work with you and payroll to resolve during the next pay cycle.

The District home page will be updated immediately if there is a campus emergency or closure. Additional notices will be sent to your Palomar College email and Palomar's social media accounts.

Please ensure your contact information is up to date. To update your contact information please use the Address/Name Change Form and turn it in to Human Resource Services in room ST-1 or email it to

This will depend on the type of emergency, closure, or disaster.   The District is in the process of designating which employees and/or positions will be essential to the operations of Palomar College.

What does ‘disaster service’ mean? Disaster service means all activities authorized by and carried out pursuant to the California Emergency Services Act.

You can view the training on the PD Portal: Face to Face (F2F) COVID Training.

scroll to top