Students who wish to apply to Palomar College may meet the English proficiency requirement by achieving one of the following test scores:
- TOEFL: (470 PBT) or (47 IBT) (500 PBT or 61 IBT for summer applicants). TOEFL test results should be sent directly to Palomar College. Our TOEFL code is #4602.
- STEP (EIKEN): 2A
- IELTS: 5.0 (6.0 for summer applicants)
- GTEC CBT:900 (each score must be over 180)
- ITEP: 3.5 (5 for summer applicants)
- Duolingo English Test: 75 Minimum score
- Cambridge Assessment. 82 Minimum Score
Students should list Palomar College on their test application so that we have access to your test results.
Students with scores below the required minimum may attend a full-time Intensive English language program before seeking admission to Palomar College.
Palomar College no longer has an Intensive English language program on Campus.
English proficiency will be determined at Palomar College by the standardized test scores listed above, plus language school levels, and grades earned.
English-as-a-Second-Language class placement will be based on Placement Test results. Up to 8.0 units of ESL classes may be required the first semester at Palomar College, depending on ESL Placement results.
NOTE: We do not accept SAT scores in place of TOEFL/IELTS scores. SAT scores are used for university acceptance. TOEFL/IELTS scores are used for English proficiency.