Kinesiology Department Course Syllabus for
Kinesiology 128 A, B, C, D – Training Modalities
Summer Student Hours: Mon-Thurs 7:00am – 5:30pm
Location: Wellness Fitness Center
Kinesiology 128A (Cardio training), 128B (muscular training), 128C (Functional training) and 128D (periodization training) are Pass/No Pass classes. No letter grades will be given. Students must complete ALL requirements to receive a “Pass” grade. Should a student not complete any one of the assessment requirements # 1-5, the student will receive a “No Pass” grade.
A. STUDENT ASSESSMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR 128A, 128B, 128C and 128D
- Complete orientation: Orientations are mandatory, will cover all requirements and will be given in the WFC at the top of each hour during the first two weeks of the semester. Student must be enrolled and your Palomar Student Activity ID Card is required for orientation. Student ID card can be obtained @ Bldg. SU, Rm. 201
- Document each Workout: Date and record results for each visit.
- Complete both 38 hours and 27 visits: (minimum requirement). These are 70% of the total hours for a 1 unit lab course. A “visit” must be a minimum of 20 minutes workout time and not exceed 2 hours. Allowed 2 visits/day and must be a minimum of 20 minutes apart (summer semester only).
- Turn in your fitness workout card: Upon completing the final visit, leave your fitness card in file cabinet at the conclusion of the semester.
B. STUDENT REGULATIONS AND WELLNESS FITNESS CENTER POLICIES
The following regulations and policies will help you proceed through KINE 128 without any difficulty. Please follow these to ensure a quality workout, positive experience and successful completion of the course.
- Students must bring a workout towel and be dressed in proper workout clothes upon entering WFC. (refer to dress code on page 3)
- Palomar Student Activity Card is required to use WFC. NO Student ID CARD and NO TOWEL = NO WORKOUT. Should computer be down, record start/end time where “Computer down time” is indicated. Instructor signature verification required. These hours and visits will be calculated at the end of the semester.
- Students may attend twice a day for up to 2 hours max/visit. Exceeding the 2 hour limit will result in: 01 min of time and loss of visit. Adjusted time will not be reflected in your hourly total when logging out or in the weekly Attendance Tracking Report print out. Adjustment will be calculated at end of semester.
- Water bottles only. No food, no sugar drinks. (i.e. sodas, Gatorade, powerade, etc)
- NO CELL PHONE USAGE on the workout floor/stretching area. This is a workout facility and classroom, not a lounge.
- WFC locker rooms, showers, lockers are for Community membership use only. Students may use restroom facility. Women’s student locker room is located in the O building. Men’s student locker room is located in the M building.
- All workouts are to be done in the WFC. There is no extra credit. Only hours and visits completed in the WFC will be approved. Should you need to exit the WFC at any time, you will be immediately swiped out.
- If any of these requirements are not met, you may be asked to leave the facility.
C. KINE 128 DAILY PROCEDURES
- Enter WFC dressed in workout clothes and athletic footwear. Show workout towel and have your Palomar Student Activity ID Card ready to check in at desk.
- Your ID card will be swiped to begin your workout time.
- Store all personal belongings in the small wooden lockers on premises.
- Retrieve your lab card located in the KINE 128 file cabinet.
- Take card, towel, water bottle, and a pencil onto floor with you. Date and record training information. Documentation on your fitness card will be verified with a daily Attendance Tracking Report at the end of the semester. A lab instructor is on duty to assist you with your workout.
- At conclusion of workout, file fitness card alphabetically in file cabinet. Your fitness card is to be kept in the WFC at all times. You are responsible for your fitness card. You will only be issued one card for the semester. Do not lose it!
- Stop at desk to swipe out and retrieve your Student ID card. Cumulative hours can be provided at that time.
- Leave your fitness card in the file cabinet at the end of the semester. It will be collected by the KINE 128 coordinator for assessment.
- At the semester’s conclusion, a final report will be printed to verify total hours/visits.
D. HELPFUL HINTS and REMINDERS FOR SUCCESS
- NO TOWEL, NO Student ID, NO WORKOUT CLOTHES = NO WORKOUT
- You must always wear proper workout clothes/shoes. You will not be allowed to work out if dress code is not followed.NO JEANS, NO CASUAL SLACKS, NO CUT-OFFS, NO CARGO SHORTS, NO BERMUDA SHORTS, NO SWIMMING TRUNKS, NO SANDALS, NO CLOTHING WITH BUTTONS, BELTS, RIVETS, OR ZIPPERS, NO SKIRTS, NO DRESSES, NO HEELED SHOES, NO BOOTS OF ANY KIND.
- Students are not allowed to change clothes or shower at the WFC at any time.
- You must always bring and swipe your Palomar Student Activity ID Card upon entry of the WFC before beginning your workout. NO Student ID-=NO WORKOUT
- No sugar drinks allowed. Water bottles are acceptable and recommended.
- No cell phone usage on the workout floor.
- Check your progress each week. An Attendance Tracking Report, showing weekly updates of hours and visits, is located on top of the book counter in the black 3-ring binder.
- Stay informed. Check the large white message board by the windows to learn about current changes and updates.
E. LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Students will be able to analyze their personal workout to determine areas of improvement.
- Students will be able to measure their progress in specific endurance, strength and/or cardio training modes.
- Students will be able to assess fitness results at semester’s conclusion by comparing pulse recovery calculations.
NOTE: If your personal schedule prohibits you to realistically meet all the requirements for the 128 A, B, C or D, it is advised you take the lab another semester. Adhering to the requirements will be consistent with every student regardless of a student’s outside personal circumstances.