Prior to “testing out” of Nursing 117, Nursing 103, Nursing 118, Nursing 217, Nursing 203, or Nursing 218 the following applies:
- Must meet the Nursing Program entry requirements, including all prerequisites.
- Review the content of each class and determine the clinical skills required.
- Review the Transfer Evaluations Forms.
Directions for “Testing Out”
- Read the “Credit by Examination Policy” in the Palomar College Catalog.
- Obtain the Credit by Examination Petition from the Admissions Office and complete the section on Student Information.
- Submit the form to the Admissions Office for residence and eligibility clearance.
- Obtain approval from the Nursing Education Department Chairperson. The Chairperson will assign an instructor to administer the examination. A written exam is required of all Nursing courses challenged. A math competency exam, a written patient care plan, and skills testing will be required for all courses except Nursing 103 and 203.
- Pay all applicable fees at the Cashier’s Office and have this recorded on the form.
- Make an appointment with the assigned instructor to review the content and description of the challenge requirements for that course. A course syllabus may be purchased from the bookstore or viewed in the Palomar College Library. Reference textbooks may be used in the Palomar College Library.
- If challenging Nursing 117 or Nursing 118 or Nursing 217 or Nursing 218, make an appointment to take the Math competency examination. A score of 90% or higher is required. If a score of 90% or above is not achieved, the petition for Credit by Examination will be denied and a “NCR” grade (No Credit) will be reported on the petition form.
- After successful passing the Math examination (90%), make an appointment for the written portion of the challenge exam. A score of 70% or higher is required for passing. If a score of 70% or higher is not achieved, the petition for Credit by Examination will be denied and a “NCR” grade (No Credit) will be reported on the petition form.
- Make an appointment with the assigned instructor to take the skills tests if the score on the written work is 70% or higher.
Note: Each skill tested must follow the performance checklist in the course syllabus. All steps in the checklist must be rated as satisfactory to receive a passing grade. Only one opportunity will be provided to take the skills tests. If the skills tests are not passed, the petition for Credit by Examination will be denied and a “NC” grade will be reported on the petition form.
“Report of Grade” will be completed by the instructor and reviewed by the Nursing Education Department Chairperson. The form will be returned to the Admissions Office and the final grade will be recorded in the student’s permanent record.