Palomar College Learning For Success

Pathways

Palomar College Guided Pathways

GP Student Ambassadors – Who are they? (continued)

Gregory Mendoza

Hello, My name is Gregory Mendoza. I am a student at Palomar College, a Peer Mentor for Student Success and Engagement Department and a GP Student Ambassador.  I was born in San Diego and raised by a single mother. I am the first generation in my family to attend college. I was formerly incarcerated and education has been a life changer and opportunities that I never thought would be possible have been opened, because I decided to pursue a degree and be part of change in my community.  I plan to transfer to Cal State San Marcos and continue my higher education. Guided Pathways has given me an idea of how I will get to my goals and what classes I need to complete to transfer and continue my academic journey

Kory Nokes

My name is Kory Nokes and I am a Student Ambassador for Palomar Pathways.  My educational journey has been far from conventional. I tried college after high school but did not have much success.  I was not in a good place in my life at the time and did not have my priorities in order. I made some bad decisions and was in trouble with the law. My education unfortunately took a back seat to a negative lifestyle. My path to education began while I was incarcerated.  I was able to change my life and earn my Associates of Science in Business while incarcerated. Education continues to open doors for me and I know now that there is nothing I cannot do. I know today that I have the power to create my ideal destiny by taking advantage of the choices and opportunities that are presented in front of me.  I work as a Peer Mentor at Palomar College and will be transferring to Cal State San Marcos next fall. I am a member of Phi Theta Kappa, and have been nominated to be the 2020 commencement speaker. What I like about Palomar Pathways is that I have a voice. I have the opportunity to help make the educational experience better for all students.  I am honored to be a part of this great team.