September is National Preparedness Month
National Preparedness Month serves as a reminder that we all must take action to prepare, now and throughout the year, for the types of emergencies that could affect us where we live, work, and also where we visit. This year’s theme is “Don’t Wait, Communicate. Make Your Emergency Plan Today,” and has an emphasis on preparedness for youth, older adults, and people with disabilities and others with access and functional needs.
Whether it’s September or any other month of the year, disaster can strike at any time without warning. Cal OES encourages all Californians to be prepared for when – not if – the next emergency will occur. How prepared are you?
Infórmese. Qué hacer antes, durante y después de una emergencia. Ready.gov en Español
10 Ways to Be Prepared
Preparedness is something you can practice with your family! Cal OES has tips, tricks, brochures, and videos to help you learn what you can do around your home to ensure that you are ready for anything!
Our office is delegated by the Governor to support and enhance all phases of emergency management which include Preparedness, Response, Recovery, and Mitigation. The Planning and Preparedness Division identifies a number of plans, guidance materials, support information, points of reference, and other materials to assist in the development of a successful all-encompassing preparedness program.
Visit the 10 Ways to Be Prepared and get ready with us! Visite al 10 Maneras de Estar Preparados y prepárate con nosotros!
Preparedness Additional Resources
- Personal Preparedness In America: Findings from the 2009 Citizen Corps National Survey
- Cal OES Preparedness Branch – Find tips to prepare for any emergency.
- MyHazards – Learn the risks in your neighborhood
- CAL FIRE – Are you fire safe? Visit CAL FIRE for your fire safety education
- CalVolunteers – Learn more about volunteer opportunities and get involved
- Ready America – Founders of National Preparedness Month
- Ready Kids – Information for kids and schools on how to prepare for any emergency
- Great California ShakeOut – Take part in the largest earthquake drill ever conducted!
- FEMA – Disaster recovery info, preparedness, and assistance
- Department of Homeland Security – Learn more about cybersecurity and terrorism threats and how you can protect yourself
- American Red Cross – See how you can help aid in the response and recovery process
- California Foundation for Independent Living Centers – A Statewide, non-profit trade organization made up of 25 Independent Living Centers
- National Council on Disability – Independent Federal agency empowering individuals with disabilities to achieve economic self-sufficiency, independent living, and inclusion and integration into all aspects of society
- Contact your local Office of Emergency Services
- Pet Safety Tips – Don’t forget these family members!
- Ready Indian Country! – Prepare for emergencies in Tribal Nations
- Totally Unprepared – Earthquake preparedness tips and resources