Project Delivery Method: CM Multi-Prime
Project Budget: $8.7 million
Construction Start Date: May 2010
Completion Date: January 2012
Occupy Date: March 2012
Bond Series: A
- Currently the 5th largest planetarium in California
- Theater has 138 seats that sit under a 50-foot Astrotec dome. The presentations are largely driven by the Digistar 4 system. To produce the fulldome images on the dome, two JVC digital projectors equipped with wide angle lenses work together to create one image. Each projector provides 5000 lumens and produces a 4096 x 2048 display – together the image on the dome is 4096 x 4096 (4K) in size.
- In addition to the Digistar 4 system, the Planetarium is equipped with at Christie digital projector for presentations that do not require the D4 system.
- The audio system is a 5.1 surround sound system that uses 8 speakers located outside of the dome to provide a rich ambient sound using 11,000 watts of power.
- Full production studio consisting of an editing room and recording room. A Digistar 4 producer station allows Planetarium staff to produce and render shows without using the resources of the Digistar 4 system that runs in the theater.
- Editing room is lined with sound modifying acoustic wall panels and has a 5.1 surround sound system.
- Adjacent to the editing room is a recording room lined with sound modifying acoustic wall panels.
- Proximity to public transportation for surrounding public access to shows
- Exemplary indoor air quality will be achieved with more air changes and an air filtration system
- The building employs sun shading devices to reduce heat gain while permitting ample natural lighting
- Contains low-flow toilets and utilize infrared-sensor faucets
- The steel structure, metal building framing, and metal roof materials composed of high recycled content
- Architect: tBP/Architecture
- Construction Manager: Swinerton Builders
- Civil Engineer: VA Consulting
- Electrical: FBA Engineering
- Mechanical Engineer: GLP Engineering
- Structural Engineer: John A Martin
- Landscape Architect: Land Architecture
- Facilities Planning Manager: Kelley Hudson-MacIsaac
- Construction Manager: Chris Miller
- Prop M Construction Manager: John Philipps