What is the Bridges Scholar Program?
The primary objective of the grant, awarded from the National Institute of Health (NIH), is to support underrepresented community college students interested in science careers, so they may complete their lower division requirements and transfer to a four-year university. In addition, students accepted into the program are introduced to biomedical research in the hope that they will pursue research careers.
Why Become a Bridges Scholar?
- Financial support ($4,500 per year) for participation in specified activities and academically progressing towards transfer
- Peer tutoring and supplemental instruction
- Comprehensive academic and career advising/mentoring
- Assistance with transfer applications
- Guest speakers
- Undergraduate research opportunities at CSUSM
- Opportunities to participate in Club BioMed and other social functions designed to foster ties to the scientific community and keep students motivated
Bridges Scholar Program Materials
Jim Gilardi (Site Coordinator, Bridges to the Future Grant, Associate Professor, Life Sciences)
760.744.1150 ext 2823