Skip to Content
Palomar College Learning For Success

About a Grade

First, talk with your instructor and see if you can come to an understanding. Remember to document these good faith efforts to resolve the challenge peacefully and professionally (example: send an email to your professor in which you recap the points discussed during your meeting).

If the situation is still not resolved, your next step is to meet with the Chair of the Department. Make sure that you come prepared for this meeting with dates, statements, and behaviors that demonstrate your concern. Also be prepared to share what you would like to request in order to be successful in the classroom. If you are still having difficulties, then the next step to complete is to speak with the Dean.  At this point, if you still have not come to an agreement with either the Chair or Dean, you may meet with the Vice President of Instruction.

If the situation requires further deliberation you may move forward with a Formal Grievance Process. You will need to complete the Student Grade Dispute Formal Hearing Request Form and submit it and all related documentation to the Vice President of Instruction, Office of Instruction, AA-103. The Formal Grievance is detailed under AP 5530. Additionally, separate from the Formal Grievance process is the Student Grade Dispute Policy Procedure. The form to request a formal grade dispute is located here.