- UMOJA (a Kiswahili word meaning unity) is a community and critical resource dedicated to enhancing the cultural and educational experiences of African American and other students.
- Through a holistic approach, the Umoja program encourages, engages, nurtures, and connects with students. Umoja creates a welcoming environment that fosters self-efficacy and a strong desire to succeed. Furthermore, Umoja encourages socially responsible leadership from students, not only in their communities, but in the world as a whole.
- Supported by the California Community College Chancellor’s Office, Umoja is a statewide community that includes fifty-five California community colleges, one California State University and one community college in the State of Washington.
- Current data indicates that 25% of Umoja students are more likely to remain in college, to maintain a higher GPA, and are better prepared for transfer. (California Community College Chancellor’s Office, 03.10.2018; https://umojacommunity.org/umoja-community-data)
- Career, academic and personal counseling
- Opportunities to attend Umoja sponsored events and conferences
- Access to Umoja Community scholarships
- Cultural experiences
- Academic excellence celebrations
- University visits
- Access to Umoja Village Space
- Increased self-confidence
- Make new friends
- Book loan program
- Calculator Loan Program
- School Supplies