Regional Symposium 2019:
- We attended Umoja's regional symposium at Chaffey College-Chino campus. This events purpose was to connect Umoja faculty, staff,and students and help them create a stronger sense of community at their school. Symposia are a one-day INDABA (a deep discussion) focusing on topics designed to strengthen Umoja programs and share culturally responsive strategies with community college practitioners. The Symposia provide current Umoja practitioners an opportunity to network and explore strategies to strengthen their programs. Students also gather and have a chance to share their perspectives on how Umoja educators can best serve them
- We attended an event held by African American Male Education Network and Development (A2MEND). African American male administrators gave scholarly and professional advice to the students who attended. A2MEND's goal is to create an affirming academic and professional environment for African Americans with a particular focus on African American male students, faculty, staff, and administrators
HBCU Tour 2019:
- During the week of spring break, we went on a all expenses paid trip to the East coast to tour Historically Black Colleges and Universities(HBCU). We also toured historic American monuments and memorials in Washington DC.
- Places Visited: Washington D.C., Maryland, Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia
- HBCU's visited: Lincoln University, Howard University, Bowie University, Virginia State University, Hampton University, Benedict College, Claflin College, Clark Atlantic University, Spelman College (Females only), Morehouse College (Males only)
- Museum, Monuments, and Memorials visited: Washington Monument, Abraham Lincoln Memorial, Korean War memorial, MLK Center for Non-Violence & Social Change, National Museum of African American History & Culture
- We created a collective and shared definition of leadership for Umoja student leaders
- We identified practical skills needed to be a successful student leader and advocate on your campus
- We demonstrated effective event planning through team presentations
- We networked with student leaders across the state
UCLA STEM Transfer Academy
- We learned about what it takes to transfer as a STEM major.
- We listened to presentations from people in the STEM field
- We toured UCLA's campus
Kickoff Event 2019
- We had our annual kickoff event, where we had motivational speakers, live performances, and great food.
- We had a period for group development where we got to know each other better.
Umoja State Conference 2019
- We discussed some of the issues that impact African American students
- We discussed the legacy of the African Diaspora
- We listened to empowering speakers, culturally relevant discussions, and networking opportunities
HBCU Caravan at San Diego City College 2019
- We learned about HBCU's transfer guarantee
- We learned about various HBCU partner institutions
- On-site admissions for many schools
Umoja Stem Info Session an Tour 2019
- We received info for many different schools STEM programs.
- We toured some STEM classrooms