Re: Thrombotic occlusion of left anterior cerebral artery [HAPP-L] [HAPP-L]

Sam,

I'm a bit confused by your post, since I'm pretty certain that the ACA does
NOT supply Brodmann's areas 44 or 45.  It may supply a bit of area 11.
Anyway, I'd expect some Broca's area signs (if it's the left ACA), so
trouble with speech but good comprehension.  Also, a classic sign of left
ACA stroke would be weakness/paralysis/numbness in the right leg/foot, which
is of course from involvement of areas 1,2,3,4,5.  Perhaps the occlusion you
cite is not affecting these areas however.  I'm unsure what area 11 affects,
but some general confusion in the patient is a common sign following the
event you describe.  Hope this helps.

Dr. Michelle Lemons, are you out there?  Anything to add to this?
In addition, I have my own question: I've read somewhere that water is
absorbed across the stomach lining, but every source I've used recently
suggests only aspirin and other NSAIDs and alcohol are absorbed there.  Can
anybody shed some light on this one?

Curt

At 08:38 AM 12/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
>What primary physical symptoms would one expect from a brain attack
>affecting the pre-frontal cortex supplied by the left anterior cerebral
>artery?
>
>Broadman's 11, 44 and 45 would be affected.  What is your evaluation as to
>what symptoms would appear?
>

>===========   HAPS WEBSITE AT  http://www.hapsweb.org  ======
>send e-mail to HAPP-L-request@scimath.imperial.cc.ca.us
>   In the BODY of the message at the beginning of the
>   first line put ONLY the single word  UNSUBSCRIBE
>The mail being expressed is the responsiblity of the
>original author.HAPS and Imperial Valley College, trustees,
>administration, faculty, etc.disclaim any responsibilities.

Curt Walker, PhD
Dixie College
St. George, UT

===========   HAPS WEBSITE AT  http://www.hapsweb.org  ======